Stan writes:

>1) Methanol seems to be the most expensive ingredient in the process.  I
>have read in some places that 20% by volume of methanol is required, in
>other places I have read 25% is required.  How little can I get away with?

Experiments by Neutral (infopop forum) indicate that viscosity of the fuel
(a measure of conversion extent) continues to fall up to 30% methanol.
If you use less, you just end up with more mono- and diglycerides in your
fuel, and a higher viscosity. Whether that matters probably depends on your
climate, your engine, your source of waste oil, and a lot of other unknowns.

>2) What is the overall yield of the process.  If I start with a 100
>litres of waste oil and I add 20 litres of methanol how many litres of
>fuel do I end up with?

About 100, provided you don't lose any in emulsion, precipitated tallow
esters, etc. Again, many variables in this question.     -K