>The Energy Balance of Corn Ethanol: An Update
>
>This July 2002 study by the United States Department of Agriculture
>reviews a range of studies conducted since the late 1970s that have
>estimated the net energy value (NEV) of corn-derived ethanol.
>Variations in data and assumptions used among the studies have
>resulted in a wide range of estimates. This study identifies the
>factors causing this wide variation and develops a more consistent
>estimate. The report concludes that the NEV of corn ethanol has been
>rising over time due to technological advances in ethanol conversion
>and increased efficiency in farm production. The report shows that
>corn ethanol production has an energy output:input ratio of 1.34.
>This means that the production of corn-ethanol is energy efficient,
>in that it yields 34 percent more energy than it takes to produce it,
>including growing the corn, harvesting it, transporting it, and
>distilling it into ethanol.
>
> http://www.usda.gov/oce/oepnu/aer-813.pdf

Hi Motie

Don't do it! (Unless you already have.)

That's the one we have reffed at our site, with the other
energy-balance stuff refuting Pimentel and so on:
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_energy.html
Is ethanol energy-efficient?

I went browsing round the main page of the Office of Energy Policy
and New Uses:
http://www.usda.gov/oce/oepnu/

... and found another one: The Energy Balance of Corn Ethanol: An Update
http://www.usda.gov/oce/oepnu/aer-814.pdf

813 is 5.2 Mb, 814 is only 176 kb! But they seem to be exactly the
same. Finally I found the reason: 813 has a high-resolution 5 Mb
cover page. No info, just a picture, a logo, and the title. 5 Mb. Why
I hate pdf's (or one of the reasons anyway). 814's cover is the same,
but 100 kb. I think I could probably fit it into 20 kb without any
loss.

There's also a press release on the report:
http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2002/08/0322.htm
USDA Report Finds Ethanol Is Energy Efficient

Best