>Is there a reason you didn't crosspost this lengthy answer, which I
>thought was good and took some work,

Not much work, it's all to hand already. I'm glad you liked it.

>so that those in a renewable
>energy area could also have the benefit of your thinking?  I mean,
>some of them are obviously interested in defining and discussing
>sustainability issues, so I'm asking if there's some matter of
>principle preventing you and others from crossposting.  I can read and
>be enligtened by or disagree with this or that response, but it's a
>pity in my view for it to miss out on so many others who might find
>some interest in these responses because there seems to be a tendancy
>against any crossposting.

I do a lot of cross-posting, so do others. Nothing against it, quite
opposite. But I'm not a member of that list and I don't want to join
it, so I can't cross-post there. For others, you didn't repeat the
address and they'd've had to go and look for it in the previous
message. I think you have to relay them yourself, which can get a bit
troublesome if the thread develops, but I can't think of another way
unless there's really a lot of cross-membership. Even then, we
cross-post between Biofuel and Biofuels-biz, people cross-post
between Distillers and New Distillers, between the GAS list and the
Stoves list. Some people apparently think it's polite to ask
permission of the author before cross-posting, but I don't agree with
that, though I quite often do ask (never been refused). Of course the
author and the list must be clearly identified in cross-posts (though
not necessarily if you're only commenting on something someone else
said and quote it for that purpose, especially not if you're being
negative about it). Feel free.

>Although discussion of soil as a finite resource (or not) may not be
>directly about renewable energy, it does seem to bear on defining
>whehter biofuels can be defined as such, so I'm not sure it would be
>contrary to a renewable group's charter.

It shouldn't be, IMO. They're primarily wind energy, but biomass is a
considerable part of the renewable field, and without soil
maintenance biomass resources are not sustainable or renewable. With
soil maintenance they are, or can be. So it's a crucial aspect,
almost a defining aspect.

Regards

Keith