Mommy, There's A Monster Under My Bed! (A Review Of Global Warming
And Other Eco-Myths)

Beginning with the publication of "Silent Spring", the environmental
movement has become progressively disconnected from science and more
rigidly defined by a utopian ideology. Based primarily on
exaggerations, distortions, and a willful neglect of valid scientific
data that runs contrary to their preaching's, the movement continues
to advance an agenda that, while posing as society's savior, condemns
millions to poverty and disease. Aided by contemporary press-
release "journalism" and the "want-it-to-be-true" attitudes on the
part of those reporting the stories, their claims go unchallenged,
becoming part of the "conventional wisdom." But information about the
true state of the world environment is available; it's just difficult
for to find among the hysteria. Fortunately, Ronald Bailey, of the
Competitive Enterprise Institute, is trying to change that.

As the editor of the recently published "Global Warming and Other Eco-
Myths", Mr. Bailey has assembled a group of the most respected
researchers in their respective fields to explain the truth in their
areas of interest. The list of contributors includes, among others,
Dr. John R. Christy, Director of the Earth System Science Center at
the University of Alabama, Huntsville, and Lead Author of the UN's
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Global Warming]; Dr.
Norman Borlaug, Distinguished Professor of International Agriculture
at Texas A&M and the driving force behind the "Green Revolution"
[Biotechnology]; Dr. Nicholas Eberstadt, Harvard Center for
Population and Development Studies [Population and Resources]; Dr. C.
S. Prakash, Director of the Center for Plant Biotechnology Research,
Tuskegee University, Alabama [Genetically modified plants]. Along
with their colleagues, and in only eleven chapters, they manage to
address the major claims of environmental theology: Global Warming,
population control, "sustainable" development, Genetically-modified
foods, "synthetic" chemicals, energy production and the widely
cited "precautionary principle." And, surprisingly, the book is both
readable and understandable. I say "surprisingly" because, too often,
experts in a field tend to fall back on unfamiliar phrasing and
jargon specific to their specialty. That tendency is refreshingly
absent in this book.

And the contents? Let's start at the beginning, quoting Dr. Christy
on the IPCC "Summary for Policymakers", the most quoted portion of
the report: "·the brief account of the main points·was actually
edited and approved by a political body." Or "Statements·that
thousands of IPCC scientists agree on anything is simply untrue and
misrepresents the process." The article on Global Warming is well
worth reading in its entirety. You should read the article on
biotechnology, written by Dr. Borlaug. You've heard the protests
over "Frankenfood." How about the fact that, if crop yields remained
at 1950's levels, current production would require three times the
land area now under cultivation?  Or that "Organic" production would
be a miserable failure as a replacement for current practices? Where
you aware that distribution, not production, is the root cause of
world hunger? If you read Dr. Eberstadt's article on Population,
you'll find that global fertility rates are dropping, not increasing;
that population rates increased because of falling death rates, not
births. And that is interpreted as a bad thing?

Other chapters recount the DDT charade, including the ongoing costs
in human life resulting from its ban; the illogical debate over
energy supplies and "alternative" sources; the widespread acceptance
of the "Precautionary Principle", whose main object is to stop the
development of the human race.

Thomas Huxley wrote, "Science ... warns me to be careful how I adopt
a view which jumps with my preconceptions, and to require stronger
evidence for such belief than for one to which I was previously
hostile. My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves
to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations."
The environmental movement has turned this expectation of science
upside down in the pursuit of a blindingly utopian concept of how the
world should be. If successful in their quest, you can expect that
your life span will shorten, your costs will increase, your choices
will become limited and your children's future will be compromised.
Sounds too drastic? Consider that the very things the ideological
environmentalists work to eliminate or retard are the same things
that contribute to the elimination of disease, poverty and hunger in
less-developed areas of the world. And you will not be immune to that
failure.

Read the book. You can have an influence, but only if you are aware
of the consequences and willing to get involved. "Global Warming and
Other Eco-Myths" is an excellent roadmap through the forest of
misinformation and mythology. And you might start with your school-
age children.

http://cei.org/gencon/019,03293.cfm