Hi all,

   I recently joined this group as a person interested
in promoting Bio-Fuel awareness in India.

I just read a article in Internet about a small group
in bangalore, India promoting BIO-Fuel. Hope the
information provided are are some help.

Some figures in the article
1US $ = 50 India Rupee (Rs)
1 crore = 10 million indian rupee
1 lakh = 0.1 million India rupee

Please let me know of any clarification.

Best regards,
Siva.

One evening in early 1999, Dr.Udipi Shrinivasa from
the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore was having
tea with some locals in Kagganahalli village. He had
for some years been investigating various strategies
that would sustain continuous economic development of
this semi - arid area.

"Oh there is nothing much here," a villager was
saying. "No river, no wells, no electricity; just
hundreds of Honge trees and tonnes of seeds. Not much
use now. Our grandparents used the uneatable oil for
lamps!"

Dr.Shrinivasa perked up! Useless? If it can burn in
lamps, it can surely run diesel engines. After all
Rudolf Diesel used peanut oil to run the first ever
diesel engine.

The adventure begins:

Back in the Institute, he quickly extracted some oil,
poured it into an engine and started it. Of course it
ran! And ran well too.

"It was a sobering moment," he says. "Here we were,-
all scientists- looking at technical solutions like
windmills, gasifiers, solar panels and methane
generators for rural India, and we had not made the
obvious connection with the potential of non-edible
oils known from Vedic times as fuels."

As he excitedly researched this 'bio-diesel' or
'eco-fuel', astonishing facts and scenarios came
tumbling out.

In the 1930s the British Institute of Standards,
Calcutta had examined, over a 10 year period, a series
of eleven non edible oils as potential 'diesels',
among them the oil from Pongamia Pinnata ['Honge' in
Kannada]. In 1942, during those dark war years the
prestigious US journal, 'Oil and Power' had in an
editorial euologised Honge Oil as technically a fit
candidate to generate industrial-strength power.

The Cinderalla oil:

What happened then?

War was over, oil fields were secure again, everyone
got lazy and the petroleum industry got smart: it
pumped out and flooded the world with fuels, at times
cheaper than the cost of water. Honge oil fell from
favour and waited like Cinderalla, for its prince
charming. Even the rural Indian was moving away from
remembered traditions: Kerosene had arrived in Indian
villages.

And yet a Honge oil economy did survive in India,
though once removed from direct contact with people.
Dr.Shrinivasa estimates that the size of trade in
Honge oil['Karanji' in Hindi and 'Pungai' in Tamil]
controlled by the Bombay commodities market is 1
million tonnes feeding mostly soap making and
lubricants industries. In Warrangal, Andhra Pradesh,
the Azamshahi Textile Mills, set up by the Nizam of
Hyderabad in 1940, generated all the power needs of
the factory using non-edible oils until its recent
closure; and it had surplus power left over for the
city's needs!

However the Honge is a much ignored tree now. It grows
on regardless, waiting for its virtues to be
re-discovered. It is a hardy tree that mines water for
its needs from 10 metre depths without competing with
other crops. It grows all over the country, from the
coastline to the hill slopes. It needs very little
care and cattle do not browse it. It has a rich
leathery evergreen foliage, that is a wonderful
manure. From year-3 it yields pods and production is a
mature average of 160kG per tree per year from
year-10, through to its life of 100 years. Ten trees
can yield 400 litres of oil, 1200 kg of fertiliser
grade oil cake and 2500kg of biomass as green manure
per year.

Quick economics:

Dr.Shrinivasa ran through some quick numbers. A litre
of Honge was equivalent in performance to a litre of
diesel. If the farmer collected the seeds free from
his land, had it milled and sold the oil cake at Rs.3
per kG, the cost of oil to him was Rs.4 per litre.
[The cost of diesel is Rs.18 a litre today.] If he
bought the seeds at Rs.3.50 per kilo, the cost was
Rs.9 per litre and if he bought the ready oil from the
market it was Rs.20. The potential to drive the rural
economy, make it autonomous and put some cash in its
pockets was obvious.

"We are mindlessly increasing food grain production
without caring to see how the poor would buy them.
That it is why food rots and people go hungry. If the
power and fertiliser needs are met by Honge, villages
would have cash surpluses," says Dr.Shrinivasa.

In fact the opportunity is enormous for the country's
macro-economy too. "...30 million hectare equivalent
[planted for biodiesels] can completely replace the
current use of fossil fuels, both liquid and solid,
renewably, at costs India can afford," says Dr.
Shrinivasa. Our oil bill is $6 billion a year; we can
put a third of that cash in the hands of rural
Indians, have our oil needs met and save the two
thirds. Do we have the land? Sure! Currently about 100
million hectares are lying waste in India. Cost? About
Rs.1000 crores per year for 20 years and we should
become self-sufficient forever in oil.

Proving grounds:

The idea had to move from paper to the ground.

Two breaks came his way.

The first was from the industry, always quick to spot
an opportunity. Dandeli Ferroalloys [Dandeli Town-581
325, Karnataka] established in 1955,is a heavy
consumer of electricity. Power forms 60% of their
variable costs. P.V.Jose of the company read an early
press release about Dr.Shrinivasa's findings on Honge
oil and got in touch with him. Coordinating with
Dr.Shrinivasa, Dandeli converted all five of their 1
megaWatt diesel engines to run on biodiesel. [Jose
reported in Feb., 2001 that they had generated 760,000
kWH of energy entirely from Honge oil. And they are
continuing the usage.]

The second break came from Karnataka's Rural
Development and Panchayat Raj department. A sanctioned
fund of Rs. 278 lakhs was allowed to run a Honge oil
programme in seven villages around Kagganahalli.

Dr.Shrinivasa prepared a master plan and has been
executing it at Kagganahalli. The full weight of
current scientific arts was brought to bear on India's
rural development. Rs.200,000 was spent on sourcing
satellite images to identify fracture lines and from
them, deep water sources were identified using
electrical sensitivity measurements. 20 bore wells of
depths varying from 200' to 300' were drilled in the
project area spread over 40 sq.kM. Submersible pumps
were let into the wells and a project-level 440 volt
grid was created to power the pumps. At the power
station two 63 kVA generators stood waiting for Honge
oil. A 20kM network of 3" pipelines was buried
underground with outlets at various farm-heads.

Honge seeds were collected from the project area,
taken to a miller at a nearby town. The only
processing done on the oil was to filter the detritus
that could clog the fuel pump. Ramanna, a local
mechanic recruited for the project poured the oil into
the engine and pressed a button.

Energy flowed through the project grid, charged the
pumps and water sprayed out of a rain gun. For the
first time ever in history Kagganahalli witnessed a
source of water other than rain. Brought that too, by
the produce of that very land!

Two visions:

Right from the start Dr.Shrinivasa was adamant that
water had to be paid for. "Pamper them and you ruin
them," he believes. Water was priced competitively at
Rs2.50 per kLitre. And the farmers, albeit with some
theatrical moans, began to buy. In the last 18 months
the fields of Kagganahalli have produced watermelons,
mulberry bushes, sugar cane and grains with a
confidence that water was assured. So far 40,000
kLitres of water has been sold. Not a single litre of
diesel was bought!

Dr.Shrinivasa has his visions fixed wide and far.

For Kagganahalli, he asked himself how the growing
demand for water was going to be met. Thus began the
scheme to manage the watershed. Already a stream has
become perennial, charged by check-dams. Afforestation
of the Huliyurdurga hill nearby has seen small game
arrive. Tree plantation programme grows apace. Cash
incomes from seed collection and wage work
opportunities are beginning to increase.

An information centre will soon be ready at
Huliyurdurga to impart training to groups from other
parts of India. [contact details follow]

For the country as whole, he grows misty with his
vision. "Sir, the economics are compelling," he says.
"We get green cover, environmental rewards, local
incomes and nation level independence. I have not
drilled through the finer details. We could easily put
the oil cake through digesters that would yield a rich
fertiliser slurry, methane and drop costs further. The
green cover would induce happy micro-climates and
increase water resources. It is all so do-able."

Nothing quixotic here. Biodiesel investigation is
serious stuff worldwide [read more at this link ].
Only in the west  the accent has been on vegetable
oils [which are far too valuable in India's kitchens]
to run automobiles. Dr.Shrinivasa's thrust on the
other hand, has been to use non-edible oils to ignite
a process of rural enrichment.

Biodiesels have many advantages. They are cheap and
renewable, they disperse profits, are safe to store
[due to a high flash point], need nothing new to be
invented to run engines, are kinder on the engines,
have a long shelf life, are biodegradable, release no
more carbon di oxide than the trees originally
consumed and have cooler, clearer exhausts. And to the
delight of many investigators the exhaust from an
engine on biodiesel "smells of pop corn and french
fries!"

Why do they bother?:

In N.Viswanath the project has a passionate
evangelist. An engineer by training, he is an able
media activist. Suparna Diwakar is a bubbly
consultant. And Dr.Shrinivasa is the unassuming leader
of few words with an unassailable conviction.

Yet some 30 years ago he grew up in a modest family of
fishermen in a small town called Udipi. It was even
smaller then than now. The first hop out of his town
was into the new institute of technology at Chennai.
Since then, a life in academe. Why should he bother
beyond the routine of a withdrawn family centred life?
He is obviously not personally affluent and yet he
dreams of riches for India. How come this supposedly
feeble land produces people like him.

He and his team are a part of the little known good
news about India. If you suspend your cynicism you
will find them here and there. Not too many but
enough.

Dr.U.Shrinivasa, N.Viswanath or Suparna Diwakar

SuTRA [Sustainable Transformation of Rural Areas]

Dept. of Mechanical Engineering

Indian Institute of Science

Bangalore 560 012

Karnataka