James Slayden wrote:

> Robert,
>
> A good many of the Ford Rangers are already set up as FFV's, might want to
> check to see if you model is one.  Ususlly there is a little plack on the
> gate that has a highway and a greenleaf.  But I would check with a model
> database online to verify for sure. If it is an FFV it will allow you to
> run E-85, ie. 85% ethanol - 15% gas.  Then you could blend your own.
>
> James Slayden

    No, mine isn't an FFV.  The turbo Mustang guys frequently use larger
injectors and high output fuel pumps for more power on gasoline, and I
understand that those items are essentially a "bolt on" for my Ranger.
(Though I'd need 2 fuel pumps--one for gasoline, and the other for ethanol.)
Ethanol requires an injector orifice around 30% larger than gasoline, so the
bigger injectors should work.  Fuel shut off valves are commercially
available, so I could switch between ethanol and gasoline from inside the
vehicle, just as I used to do when running propane on a previous car.

    The trouble with E 85 is that the ethanol must be anhydrous.  I'd like to
try 100 proof ethanol with my high pressure injectors, but I'm not sure the
engine will run, and I worry about bending a connecting rod in a hydraulic
condition where the water does not vaporize.  The last engine I built suffered
this fate after I checked my water injection and accidentally squirted a bit
of water into a cylinder.

    My wife has not let me hear the end of that one!

    So, I'm probably better off with the 160 proof variety.

    As far as the "distill while you drive" idea is concerned, I calculated
the output after a good night's sleep and it looks like my total commute would
yield about 1 liter of ethanol, or about 1 / 8 of what I'd need to get back
and forth from work!

    I guess that's why nobody is doing this. . .

robert luis rabello