----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc de Piolenc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 08:05
Subject: [biofuel] Low temperature carbonization

> If restrictions get that tight, pretreating the coal will probably still
> be cheaper than buying char, with all the processing that has to have.
> Just impregnating coal with a carbonate, for instance, will do a pretty
> good job of converting sulfur to easily scrubbable compounds.

How do you figure that pretreating is going to be more cost effective?

>> "Not true, The char could be used to power the proceses in the first
>>place
>> making it less costly, think about it use a by product of of your own
>>production, to lower your cost of production. Excess heat from
>>. production
>> could also then be used to generate electricity to lower your cost from
>> that
>> vantage point additionaly."
>
> Sorry, but you're still going to end up with a lot of unsalable char.

Why do you say it is  not saleable? It is a fuel, that is has little to no
volatiles. This makes it useful in many applacations.

> I'm not offended - only amused. I've made a career out of digging up
> "shelved" technology and evaluating it for possible revival. That's why
> I recognized this process in the first place! And it is not "negative"
> to recognize the limitations of a process - at least not in my book.

What are the limitations?

> A really poor analogy, as the use of LTC persisted in Germany long after
> its abandonment in the States...but it has been abandoned there, too,
> despite Germany's near total absence of petroleum resources.

Probably because for time it is/was easier to buy from the oil producing
nations, that does not mean, it should be abandoned all together.

> People are often willing to "take a chance" on making money! If the
> process has real merit, somebody's going to want to profit from it.

If they know about it.

> Sigh. What if it really IS no good? Or more correctly, uneconomical
> under current conditions.

It it?  The problem is I don't know of any up to date information from a
neutral party. Do you ?

> Any evidence that this is happening? I rather doubt it, as any adverse
> publicity about LTC would be ...publicity, and would make people aware
> of a rather obscure technology.

According to the article there was that problem at that time. Perhaps I
should have said 'might' if it were to happen today, at the same time many
things today have been kept hush-hush.  It is lot easier to keep things that
are obscure quiet, than it is to keep things that are not obscure quiet.
This can be done by ensuring that they remain obscure.

Greg H.