Argggh, New Jersey (I grew up in Jersey City, that's the one that smells
really bad)

A few years ago I was calling around trying to find a Toyota engine rebuild
kit, in New Jersey. I'd been living in North Carolina for a few years at
that point, and the Southeast is the Bible Belt, people don't curse at
their customers,  and customer service people are usually really polite on
the phone. It was interesting, to say the least, to be back in New Jersey
hearing the auto parts guys cussing away on the phone with customers,
that's just not done in North Carolina.

I found a place that might have had what I wanted. I was asking the guy on
the phone about the rebuild stuff. He got kind of flustered and said
something about how you can't get one. I asked what he meant. He said that
I should just buy it from Toyota instead. I asked him why. he started
talking about the close tolerances those engines are built to. He said
something I interpreted to mean that American aftermarket parts
manufacturers can't handle making kits well enough for the exacting
tolerances of a Japanese engine. then he ended up being somewhat 'unclear
on the concept' and blamed the Metric system. Or tried to.  the problem, he
said, was:
Those Japanese sons-of-b***es, you see  they measure everything in
millionths and we measure 'im in inches.