I don't know if this has been brought up already or not, but while hemp is
indeed a plant which provides fiber, oil and other uses, its oil content
relative to other biofuel crop alternatives, well, sucks.

According to Tickell's From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank, a hemp crop can
yield oil at about 300kg/hectare.  Compared to Rapeseed (nearly 1000) hemp
doesn't look too convincing as an oil crop unless both the oil and fiber
yields combined outproduce the alternatives.  One potential energy plant not
investigated since the 1980's that I can tell is Euphorbia Lathyris (aka
Mole or Gopher Plant).  According to Tickell and other sources, the Mole
plant produces more oil (approx. 1200kg/ha) mass/hectare than ANY OTHER
plant crop other than trees and bushes such as castor bean.  The bean itself
is said to yield 50% oil content.  It grows like crazy virtually anywhere.
Hemp is not as easy to grow and as the literature indicates, produces less
than a third the oil of the alternatives.

Still, cannabis should be free.  It's hypocrital prohibition and enforcement
over that of the freely grown common yard plant Papaver Somniferum (Opium
Poppy ---also yielding more kg oil/hectare than hemp) will sometime make a
hysterically funny movie....oh, yeah, it already exists: Reefer Madness...

-Myles Twete, Portland