Some further interesting comments on the case that Oil is affecting
U.S. foreign policy in untoward ways.  I don't subscribe to all these
views, but I am passing them on for comment or consideration.

 > Earl you forgot to mention the wild card in the bunch -- China, the
 > dragon is waking up and will be hungry.

Right.  I figured it was a bit long as it was, and also I don't know
as much about that part of the story.  Here's a little that I do know.

China is tenth on the list of countries with oil reserves (about 24
billion barrels), with less then one tenth of Saudi Arabia.  (And much
of this is in non-Chinese territories China invaded and annexed after
the revolution: Xinjiang and Tibet.  They're building a pipeline to
move this oil to their east coast.)  With more than a billion people,
and its role as industrial production for the U.S., its potential
appetite for oil is obvious.  It used to be an oil exporter until
1993, and then became an importer instead.  By 2020 over 50 percent of
its petroleum is expected to be imported.  There's another proposed
pipeline to bring oil from Kazakhstan to China.
[http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200103/23/eng20010323_65800.html]
[http://www.cornellcaspian.com/pub/19_0108Kazakh-China.htm]

By the way, a critical part of the whole Afghanistan story has the
persistent dream of the oil companies and the U.S. government to get
still another pipeline through Turkmenistan (which borders the Caspian
Sea, along with Iran, Russia, Kazakhstan, and Azerbaijan),
Afghanistan, and Pakistan to extract Caspian sea oil while avoiding
OPEC countries.  This could be used to feed any part of the world,
including China, via the Indian Ocean.  (Iran wanted the pipeline to
go through their country, and so provided aid to the Northern Alliance
to keep the Taliban from taking complete control of Afghanistan
thereby keeping the pipeline on hold.)  Unocal of Texas was a primary
player in the pipeline effort as part of the CentGas consortium
(e.g. Taliban representatives traveled to Sugarland Texas to negotiate
with Unocal).  Since the consortium and the U.S. were negotiating with
the Taliban during the late 1990s, actions against Al-Qaeda were
probably restrained, until the embassy attacks in 1998, at which point
Clinton started again trying to hit bin Laden with cruise missles
(after this point he ordered 3 strikes, but each time the CIA
concluded their information wasn't accurate enough to go ahead).  It
wasn't until 7/4/1999 that Clinton issued an executive order
prohibiting commercial transactions with the Taliban, definitely
signaling his administration was giving up on the pipeline.  Then it
was reborn: Despite Al-Qaeda's attack on the U.S.S. Cole, one of the
first acts of the Bush administration was to re-open negotiations with
the Taliban over the pipeline, again putting action on Al-Qaeda on the
back burner over oil (the War on Terrorism is only a marketing ploy).
Is it any wonder that Cheney refuses to hand over all of his energy
task force minutes?  Interestingly, threats to invade Afghanistan over
the pipeline issue were made before 9/11; they were told they could
choose between "carpets of bombs" or "carpets of gold".  After we
installed a new government in Afghanistan, the pipeline is finally
moving ahead; Afghanistan's Hamid Karzai, Turkmenistan's President
Niyazov, and Pakistani President Musharraf signed a MOU on it on
5/30/2002.
[http://www.centralasiatravel.com/central_asia_map.html]
[http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/completetimeline/index.htm]

By the way, there are now U.S. troops in almost every one of the
central Asian countries mentioned here.  One quote to ponder to close
this post: "If one looks at the map of the big American bases created
for the war, one is struck by the fact that they are completely
identical to the route of the projected oil pipeline to the Indian
Ocean."  Uri Averny, in a Feb. 14 column in the daily Ma'ariv in
Israel, as reported March 18, 2002 in the Chicago Tribune ("Pipeline
Politics Taint US War").
[http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0318-02.htm]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to