"hcr_ii " wrote:

> Sorry to stray from the topic, but I thought the collective learning
> of the group might be able to help. Someone I know has just moved
> into a house with no mains water and so put in a borehole. Despite
> two filters installed by 'experts' the water is still strongly
> discoloured by iron.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reliable product to remove the contamination?
>
> The borehole is in Ireland by the way.
>
> Thanks in advance,

    Ugh!  An ugly and awful problem!  Personally, I would dig another hole
and hope for better water, but if money is an object (and it usually is), it
might be cheaper to chlorinate the water.  When I was in college, we had to
do this for a certain well on a property owned by the school.  Iron bacteria
thrived in that water. . .

    The water will need point of use treatment after chlorination.  Depending
on how bad the contamination is, bleaching might solve the problem--and
create another!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind