>1/2" Dura PEX -- $0.39 per foot in big rolls.
>
>They also have 7/8" for $0.64 per foot -- don't know
>which you want.
>
>I seem to remember the runs are laid out on 4" centers.

Call your local plumbing supply store. I ended up getting a "package deal"
only because it was cheaper to buy the Polaris (most energy efficient
propane water heater at the time).  The pex itself is relatively cheap. Any
extra can be used for regular plumbing.  Actually I am replacing all the
copper now in the house with pex  as soon as I can. Our water is naturally
acidic and the copper is dissolving into the water supply.  The actual
installation of the pex is very simple. It seems to be strong enough to
handle concrete made with pea gravel, so I shouldn't worry too much about
it being fragile.  The fittings however, (which should be out of the floor)
may leak eventually and need attention of a plumber.  I do have problems
with some of mine in the fall, after a summer of disuse.

I would consider an instant water heater for such a small building.- the
kind that heat only 2 gallons at a time, but very quickly. Supposedly very
efficient since you aren't paying for a 40 gallon tank of hot water to be
sitting around.

Haven't finished reading all the digests, but the cooling part would
concern me.  Having installed in-floor radiant, I must also pay for ducts
for A/C.  Probably installing 10 ft ceilings and ceiling fans has been the
best thing for summer comfort. We have the super insulated, glazing on the
south side, 4ft overhang, etc.  I think I would prefer individual window
units for AC in a larger construction- so everything isn't being cooled
unless there is a need.

Preheating the water with a solar system of some type would be the best,
but I don't know if you could get a donation of the needed materials.  The
trend on this at the Solar Decathalon  was a specially manufactured roof
mounted vacuum tube. I am not sure that it is superior to a larger system
constructed of black tubing, recycled hot water tanks, or some other
"homemade system".

Good Luck
Caroline