>US. biodiesel is "different" than EU. biodiesel based on feedstock???
>
>BUHAHAHAHAHA!!  It sounds like a ploy to me to assuage Big Oil.
>
>Um, if it meets spec, then what the hell does the different feedstock have
>to do with anything.  Seriously, this is a game face for VW not to piss
>off anyone in Big Oil, at the consumer's expense no less.  Buy a MB, and
>vote w/ your dollars.  Although MB might say the same thing .....
>
>This is truely funny,
>
>James Slayden

It's been around for awhile. I don't think it has anything (much) to
do with Big Oil, maybe more to do with Big Agribiz - sure, pretty
much the same folks if you dig back a bit, Big Oil's brother maybe.
In the US it's Big Soy, in the EU it's Big Rapeseed. General opinion
has been that the EU specs are somewhat bent to include rapeseed and
exclude soy, and probably vice versa. The specs are a bit different.
Rapeseed is better oil than soy, better crop too for energy, but to
make an issue of the slight differences between the esters is pushing
it, especially considering the large mileage on soy biodiesel, and
all the US research.

Comparison here:
National standards for biodiesel
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html#biodstds