>Hello,
>    Keith, I was wondering about some of the information I have seen
>you post regarding the amount of world food production that is
>produced with no land.  I think I remember seeing 15% and I am
>wondering if you could point me towards some sources for that
>information.  We are running a permaculture designers course here
>right now and I got into a discussion with one of the instructors
>who was very interested by those figures.  I am also interested in
>what the list feels is the potential for the production of oil crops
>without taking up agricultural space for food production.
>    and thanks for all the posts on the drum modification, I am well
>on my way now.
>cheers,
>Jack
>Jack Kenworthy
>Sustainable Systems Director
>The Cape Eleuthera Island School
>242-359-7625 ph. 242-359-7697 fax
>www.islandschool.org

Permaculture is a design system, not a farming system. Which is not
to knock it. But,IMO, you'd do better to start with the work of
Howard and the founders of organic growing, or at least add it to
permaculture. Start here:
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/howard.html

And here:
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/howardAT/ATtoc.html

To answer your question, these links should help:

http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=18805&list=BIOFUEL

http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=1395&list=BIOFUELS-BIZ

There's a lot about this in both archives, if you look around.

http://www.fao.org/News/1996/961007-E.HTM
Urban farming
Growing urban farms provide useful greens and earnings for poor, but
reforms could boost supplies

http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/policybs/pb4.html
The Multiple Functions and Benefits of Small Farm Agriculture In the
Context of Global Trade Negotiations -- By Peter M. Rosset, Ph.D.

http://www.idrc.ca/books/reports/V213/index.html
IDRC Reports Archives: October 1993 (Volume 21, Number 3)
FARMING IN THE CITY: THE RISE OF URBAN AGRICULTURE

Lots more information here:

http://journeytoforever.org/cityfarm.html
City farms: Journey to Forever

http://journeytoforever.org/farm.html