>I don't think the obstacle is technology. The products in our world are
>profit driven.
>Engineers don't decide what we will have. They may tell costs versus
>products but the path taken is decided by others.
>The current implementation of electricity is testament to that.
>
>What will speak louder than anything is if customers escape the monopoly. If
>you can persuade others to incorporate renewable energy, to use more
>efficient methods -- that speaks the only language corporate hears -- $$$.
>
>Kirk

Well, I sort of agree and sort of disagree.  I think this is central to
everything I've tried to follow for the last decade or so with respect to the
alt-energy industry and alt-fuel efforts:

If only the competitive profit-driven markets were working properly and well.

I think one could make the claim that they've been functioning, if in a somewhat
broken manner, with respect to the intertwined car-fuel industries, if one is
thinking in a somewhat illegitimate sense: if it's true than in a capitalistic
system with ebbs and flows and cycles to different business propositions,
sometimes a very successful technology and business paradigm (e.g. cars and
petrole) will become so powerful that it is able to influence ongoing national
and even worldwide public perception and governmental policy to the point where
the public and the government perceive, incorrectly, that free competition is
taking place, that property rights are being protected, that the profit motive
is still in place and able to function.

That said, in some twisted sense, yes, I agree, the auto and oil companies are
arguably acting out of profit motive.

If an auto company perceives that it is 3rd (or whatever) worldwide in the
pecking order, and in collusion with the others it perceives a massive worldwide
period of technological free-for-all could leave it 50th, and if it perceives
that its costs of stranded assets will be in the hundreds of billions of
dollars, then I guess you could make the argument that this is a reason for all
the dishonesty, the failure to really try to make and sell a new technology
(while keeping up a grand pretext of trying to do so), etc.

Just a hypothesis.  So, in that sense, there is the profit motive, though
twisted.  They'll say the profit motive is working in the sense that they've
tried and failed to be able to sell an alt-fuel vehicle because of lack of
demand or lack of fuel availability or lack of affordability yet of the
technology, but these particular profit-motive claims are often outright lies.
Does this invalidate looking for the profit motive?  No.  It just means that
it's a bit more of a twisted path than we'd like to have to take to understand
what they're doing.

Meanwhile the profit-motive itself gets a bad name, in a way, because folks
perceive there is something awry with the reasoning they're hearing, while
they're being told that their demand does not exist and that they aren't
interested in the cars they're interested in...  But what's wrong with a company
seeking to make a profit?  Nothing, inherently, that I'm aware.  I wish, though,
that they'd perceive the way to do this is to build products that folks want to
buy mid-term, and that they can afford to build and that will give them a future
place in the industry, rather than just making the cars people want 2 seconds
from now but not 2 years from now, while lying to those few in the nascient
movements to demand different cars.

As for the fuel industry, they're so dominant they can help keep down the
potential competition, the electric utilities and, to some extent, nascient
efforts to synthesize fuels such as from bioproducts using such mechanisms and
excuses as tax laws.

Well, just some ideas.  I don't know if I believe everything I've written, but I
don't want to spend all day on this and it's a hard topic.

MM