If they had determined in space that the Shuttle was not safe to return to
earth the move would have been to send them to the Intl. Space Station
where they could have docked and just sat it out until we could send a
different shuttle to get most of them and if there were still two left up
there in the Intl. Space Station they could be brought back in one of the
Russian ships as they have three seats and can be flown by one person. They
may also have been able to stay until the second shuttle arrival if that
was determined to be the better solution. Keeping in mind that if the
Columbia had been determined to be unsafe in space we may not have felt
that it was required to ground the fleet until we have clear answers as to
what the cause is and we would know the problem and cause from the
information that was developed to determine that they should not try the
reentry in it.

Best regards,
Vern

 I don't think so, it takes aprox 3-4 months for turn around, and it's my
understanding that the other shuttles are still under evaluation for cracks
in the fuel lines.Ê I don't think that shuttles were ever ment to dock with
each other, and they only have a limited number of seats ( 7 ).Ê The
limited
number of seats alone would have been a problem.

Greg H.