Hi Myles

>David-
>
>And the numbers in such tables can be widely disparate.

Naturally - the situation they're grown in, the growing methods, and
much besides, are also widely disparate.

We use rather low averages, I've said here a few times that any
small-scale grower could almost certainly do very much better.

>For example, Euphorbia Lathyris, in Tickell (see
>http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/biodiesel.html ) is rated as the 2nd highest
>non-tree plant source of oil at 1119kg-oil/hectare, while at
>journeytoforever it is only rated at 440kg-oil/hectare (below pumpkinseed)
>and in fact 11% higher yield than rapeseed.
>Meanwhile, Oil Palm at 5000kg oil/hectare is rated in both places as the
>highest yielding tree.
>
>So for trees, the answer's clear: oil palm.
>For bushes, castor bean.
>For smaller plants, it's hard to tell---I contend it's euphorbia lathyris
>(gopher plant), but that may still be a matter of dispute

I don't think it's very relevant anyway, yield is only one factor and
often not the most important one, unless you're doing monocrops, the
most expensive and troublesome way. More important is which crop fits
the local requirements best. That is most likely to be several crops,
integrated with the rest of the farming operations. Low input, high
output. If you do it wrong you can use exactly the same crop(s) to
achieve (?) high input low output.

>----meanwhile it
>grows better than anything else in our yard and nearly all year round here
>in Portland, Oregon---very wild, free and productive----I just don't know a
>cheap easy way to get oil from it safely (elements of the plant are
>considered toxic or cancerous).

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Euphorbia_lathyris.html
Euphorbia lathyris

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1990/V1-232.html#Euphorbia