From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 01:08
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: Introduction and some questions - Newbie

HI Greg,
Inregards to planting replacement tress i would go with a native deep rooted
tree like a oak or hickery. They are slow growing, have deep tap roots that
do not get into sewer pipes or septic tanks, you can eat the nuts and or
acorns. Silver maples are notorius for blocking sewer pipies here in
detroit,
Red maples tend to stay small (very little shade). A little background on
me,
me and my wife, Ida, are triing to start a native tree and shrub nursery
here
in Detroit Mich., with a emphises on nuts and fruits. My wife has a
Horticultural degree with MSU (MICHIGAN STATE UNVERSITY) geared towards
trees. I hope this helps.
HAPPY
PLANTING,                                     JOHN

                                            >Todd,

>I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The smallest of the trees ( just
>kinda skinny, but, tall ) is on the SW corner of the house. The 2nd tree is
>on the NW corner of the house ( no shade from it ), and has another pine on
>the neiborrs property about 5-8 ft from it, between the drout and the
>compatition between the two they are both in bad shape. The 3rd tree is on
>the SW corner of the yard and even when the shadows are there longest in
>winter, the shade does not reach the house, in the summer all it does is
>shade the front yard, & dropes needles, cones, and sap year round. Because
>of the needle dropping problem, gutter life on the front of the house would
>be 3-5 years if i wasn't up on the roof each week, and after every storm.
>And then I have to find a way to get rid of all the needles.

I'm planning on replaceing the one to the SW of the house ( just not sure
what type of tree would be a good replacement perhaps a silver or red maple)

Greg H.