>What doesn't the article hold back on, the truth or BS.   Do you really
>believe Secretary of State Colin Powell plagiarized material from a college
>student for his speech to the United Nations.  He has the total U.S.
>Intelligence gathering agencies to use at his disposal, and he plagiarized
>from a college student. I believe the article is a little full of something.
>
>Harley

Yes, Harley, I suppose anything that's outside the view of a keyhole
vision can be dubbed "BS", that makes everything so easy and
comfortable.

Buty really, couldn't you even take the trouble to get your denial
right? It doesn't say Powell plagiarized it, he quoted from Mr
Blair's document, and *that* was plagiarized. Doesn't matter, it's
all BS anyway, eh?

Apart from that little quibble, regarding the alleged input of the
U.S. Intelligence gathering agencies, you seem to have missed this
bit somehow that Hoagy posted as well:

Split at C.I.A. and F.B.I. on Iraqi Ties to Al Qaeda
New York Times, February 2, 2003
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/02/international/middleeast/02INTE.html

This is not at all the only such story - here's another current one:

MI6 and CIA: the new enemy within
The Independent, London 09 February 2003 -- Tony Blair and George
Bush are encountering an unexpected obstacle in their campaign for
war against Iraq - their own intelligence agencies.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=376732

And I suppose most of the world's press is also "a little full of
something", like the following small current sampling:

First casualties in the propaganda firefight
All's fair in the war for hearts and minds: frustrated by the failure
of the UN weapons inspectors in Iraq to find the 'smoking gun',
Downing Street resorted to plagiarising a 12-year-old US doctoral
thesis - The Observer, London, Sunday February 9, 2003
http://www.observer.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,891940,00.html

The dossier that shamed Britain
Deception can only corrode public trust
The Observer, Sunday February 9, 2003
http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,892066,00.html

Blair under fire for plagiarised dossier
LONDON (Reuters)
February 07 2003
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030207/80/dsq4h.html

Real Authors Of Iraq Dossier Blast Blair
LA Saturday February 08, 2003
Daily Mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12620001&method
=full&siteid=50143

No 10 under attack over 'ramping' of Iraq dossier
The Sunday Times, Sunday February 9 2003
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-571370,00.html

Iraq dossier assembled by junior aides
The Times, February 08, 2003

UK's Iraq dossier a thesis lift - The Age, Australia - Agence Francaise Presse
Saturday 8 February 2003
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/08/1044579984168.html

Downing St dossier plagiarised
Iraq
The government's carefully co-ordinated propaganda offensive has
taken an embarrassing hit after Downing Street was accused of
plagiarism.
* Read sample of plagiarised text
http://www.channel4.com/news/home/z/stories/20030206/dossier.html

Even No. 10 Downing Street (know where that is?) is saying so:

Downing Street admission - Channel 4 News
It took them nearly 24 hours, but Downing Street was eventually
forced to admit it made a mistake.
A spokesman confessed that it should have credited the authors of the
articles it used in the document, particularly Ibrahim Al Marashi -
he's the graduate student whose thesis was copied -- grammatical
errors and all.
http://www.channel4.com/news/home/z/stories/20030206/dossier.html#2

UK admits copying student's thesis for Iraq dossier
The Indian Express - Asian News International
London, February 9: In what amounted to an official acknowledgement
of plagiarism, the British government has admitted that a dossier
against Saddam Hussein was partly copied from a student's PhD thesis
and cobbled together by Alastair Campbell's propaganda machine.
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=18130

But, Harley, I'm sure you must be right and they're all talking BS.
Funny how NONE of those sources include any member of the mainstream
US press, now isn't it? That's been widely commented on, especially
in the US - days and days go by but this major world story that some
say could topple the government of the US's only supporter in it's
war on Iraq remains unreported in the US, and only in the US. It's
pointed out that "they" brought you the news of the Space Shuttle
within seconds, but not this? Well, maybe they suffer from keyhole
vision and thinks it's all BS.

See also:

Mr Blair asks us to trust him. We cannot do so
The Independent , 09 February 2003
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=376794

The Paxman dossier: Blair's case for war
In his televised interview with Jeremy Paxman last week, the Prime
Minister faced a largely hostile audience and a sceptical country
and, 'in effect' as he might say, set out his arguments for action
against Iraq. Here Andy McSmith analyses his key points
The Independent , 09 February 2003
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=376741

Re your Mr Powell and his speech, it sure didn't impress your
"allies" much (other than the Downing Street "poodle"):

Powell Makes Iraq Case With Photos, Tapes
By BARRY SCHWEID, AP Diplomatic Writer
UNITED NATIONS Wed Feb 5
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030205/ap_on_re_mi
_ea/us_iraq_48

Powell Presentation
It Was Like Something Out Of Beckett
by Robert Fisk
The Independent (UK)
February 06, 2003
Sources, foreign intelligence sources, "our sources," defectors,
sources, sources, sources. Colin Powell's terror talk to the United
Nations Security Council yesterday sounded like one of those
government-inspired reports on the front page of The New York Times -
where it will most certainly be treated with due reverence in this
morning's edition. It was a bit like heating up old soup. Haven't we
heard most of this stuff before? Should one trust the man? General
Powell, I mean, not Saddam.
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=40&ItemID=2977

The unanswered questions
The Guardian, Wednesday February 5, 2003
The question must be asked of Colin Powell's presentation today: why
the wait to present this evidence, and why the dramatic effect?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,889514,00.html

Powell's Dubious Case
By Phylliss Bennis
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=40&ItemID=2976

And so on. Free bonus:

The Saddam Hussein Interview
Published: 4 February 2003
We present a world exclusive - Saddam Hussein in his own words.
At the weekend, the veteran labour politican Tony Benn travelled to
Baghdad to meet and interview the Iraqi President. Tonight we hear
why - according to Saddam - Iraq has no interest in war and possesses
NO weapons of mass destruction.
Here is the transcript:
http://www.channel4.com/news/home/z/stories/20030205/saddam_benn.html

Just for fun, how about this one? ROFL!!!

Rumsfeld 'mends fences' by lumping Germany with Cuba and Libya in an
axis of bad boys
The Independent
By Rupert Cornwell in Washington
"Well, that's Rumsfeld." Those were the words of Joschka Fischer,
Germany's Foreign Minister, yesterday on the latest outburst from the
US Defence Secretary as he began what one news report optimistically
called a "fence-mending" mission to Europe.
The idea of fence-mending by the swaggering Donald Rumsfeld - a
former college wrestler and a man described as a "black belt in
bureaucratic infighting" - is far-fetched at the best of times.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=376449

... only it ain't at all funny. But, what the hell, you gotta laugh anyway...

Best

Keith

<snip>