>Can I add an example on whether a plant takes much from the top soil. Edible
>figs are constrained from growing a mass of green vegetation by restricting
>the surface rooting to a 2ft by 2ft  square box, 2 ft deep with an open
>bottom through which the deep roots can grow. Without this the fig tree
>would grow massive and not produce much fruit. Plainly it needs it's mat of
>surface roots which seems to counter to your first para. I grow cherries in
>large pots for the same reason.
>
>Ken

Hi Ken, Greg

Trees have two root systems, one deep-rooter set for anchoring the
things and garnering minerals from the subsoil, the other a much
denser, more finely rooted surface-root system, and this is the main
system the tree feeds by. These are also the main mycorrhizal roots.

There's much more about this here, very interesting (the whole thing
is very interesting!) - full-text online at our Small Farms Library:

"An Agricultural Testament" by Sir Albert Howard, Oxford University
Press, 1940.
Part III
Health, Indisposition, and Disease in Agriculture
9. Soil Aeration
The Soil Aeration Factor in Relation to Grass and Trees
The Root System of Deciduous Trees
The Root System of Evergreens
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/howardAT/AT9a.html

Best wishes