hi all,

I was looking at the AFDC website
http://www.afdc.doe.gov/advanced_cgi.shtml
and was surprised to see ethanol-capable vehicles
listed.  More precisely, I am wondering why
biodiesel-capable vehicles are NOT listed.

I always thought that it was because their attribute
as alternative fuel vehicles resided in the fuel, and
not in anything about the engine.  But the ethanol
capable vehicles can also burn straight gasoline, so
that doesnt' seem quite fair.  Biodiesel is, after
all, listed on the site as an alternative fuel.  But
no tax credits are available to those who run diesels
on biodiesel.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can address this
issue of diesel engines as alternative fuel vehicles?
I was thinking of some sort of proof of purchase
system that would grant a diesel vehicle owner the
appropriate tax credit if s/he could show proof of
purchase of a quantity of biodiesel roughly
commensurate with the miles driven in a particular
year.

Does this sound outrageously complicated?  Feasible?
Any other suggestions?

thor skov

=====
Grants Manager