>On 11 Feb 2003 at 17:53, Myles Twete wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that going for Iraq's Oil is only the small
> > potatos--or at least the near-term ones. What Bush/Cheney/Bechtel are
> > really after is Iraq's dams and water damming potential---which will
> > last long past when the oil dries up.... He who controls water,
> > controls more than oil.
> >
> > -Myles Twete
> >
>[SNIP]
>
>Dunno about this, "controls water, controls....". Iraq is at the end of
>the Euphrates and Tigris, the mouth of the river, not the head waters.
>What do they gain/control, ie influence in other countries, by
>damming the rivers?
>
>       I recently saw a very good doco on the trouble that Turkey
>was causing to Syria and Iraq by damming the Euphrates just short
>of their, Turkeys, border. This was causing great trouble in terms of
>wells/springs drying up, reduced river flows for the downstream
>countries to use for irrigation etc etc.
>
>       I would say that if you want to talk conspiracy theories
>regarding water, Turkey, not Iraq, where both the Ephrates and
>Tigris rise would be the logical start point
>
>       Regards,
>               Andrew Lowe

Hi Andrew

They rise in Turkey, but most of their length is in Iraq. As with
many troubled waterways (and there are many!) it's not just at the
source that the problems arise. Turkey is regarded as an ally, and I
suppose is thus expected to collude. And the US, especially, has used
water (water treatment facilities) as a weapon against Iraq
throughout the devastating sanctions period, resulting in very many
deaths through disease, especially child deaths.

Did you see this?

From: War for Natural Resources - Mixing Oil And Water, posted here yesterday:
http://www.progress.org/2003/iraq12.htm
Archives:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=20898&list=biofuel

Water is already as contentious an issue as oil, or more so, in many
parts of the Middle East, and the world. Meanwhile Americans are
increasingly unhappy about the fact that privatized water supplies in
the US are being operated by as German company. The corporatization
of water supplies worldwide proceeds apace, and is causing very great
harm.

Recommended:

"Blue Gold - The Global Water Crisis and the Commodification of the
World's Water Supply" by Maude Barlow, Chair, IFG Committee on the
Globalization of Water, National Chair, Council of Canadians
June 1999
A Special Report
Produced and Published by the International Forum on Globalization (IFG)
"The wars of the next century will be about water."  - The World Bank
Report Summary:
http://www.ifg.org/analysis/reports/bgsummary.htm

Here are a couple of excerpts:

The Corporate Theft Of The World's Water
http://tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5875

The Public Pain Of Private Water
http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5903

Maude Barlow has written much about this, try a Google search for
"Maude Barlow water" (without the quotes). Such as:

"Who Owns Water?" September 2, 2002
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020902&s=barlow

regards