Patrick,

The '85's were the last year of the 5 cyl. TD engine, and had some
refinements - generally considered to be the best year. And 102K is
nothing on a Benz engine - and the price is very good. I'd get it
checked out by a good Benz mechanic, and it it checks out, buy it. Your
friend with the older Benz is probably spending that much for deferred
maintenance - and the mechanic who checks out the '85 should be able to
forcast future repairs.

That's my advice. Good luck.

Craig

Patrick McBrady wrote:

>  Steve,
>
> I have an opportunity to buy an 1985 mercedes 300dt turbo diesel for
> $2995 with 102,000 miles on it.
>
> A friend from church has a 1981 mercedes and he says he spends an
> average of $100- $125 a month for maitenance and repairs.
>
> Does that sound about right? Of course that amount each month would
> put me deeper in the poor house each month.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks
>
> Patrick M

                            [Image]