On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:16, you wrote:
> as far as a I know 55 gallon drums arent expected to contain
> pressure.  That is probably why you cant find a spec for it.  I would
> imagine that the ratings are more orientated to impact resistance and
> resistance to chemical activity.

NEVER use air to pressure test a drum/cylinder. Air will cause the drum to
explode once the limit is reached.
  Use water instead. Once the vessel lets go there is no more kinetic energy
to cause a dangerous explosion. Fill the drum with water, then pressurise
with something like an old mastercylinder from a car.
  This technique is quite safe, they actually use it to form those odd shape
exhausts on some motorcycles. (For those interested this is how it is done:
cut the sheet out in 2 pieces, weld around edge, form a circle at one end &
fit a plumbers socket in it, then pump it up with water. Some quite
complicated shapes can be made using this technique.)
regards Doug