Personal take on this.

I maintain a fairly large personal vehicle fleet.  Most are electric per my
personal beliefs regarding transportation in a winter climate.  We do keep one
gasoline work truck operational - a full size van that can carry 12 passengers
or
750 kg cargo or combinations between those ranges.  Cargo can include 4' x 10'
sheets of melamine flat on the floor.  This vehicle also pulls our utility
trailer,
which frequently carries vehicles between stops on their road to conversion to
electric power or to shows to spread the EV message.  It does not get used for
commuting, that's why we have the EVs.  It does get used by a lot of other
folks,
so they don't have to maintain a beast of their own.  When they need it, they
can
borrow ours.

My experience with SUVs is that they are neither sporty nor utilitarian, and
they
are not designed for off-road use, and they are top-heavy (prone to rollover).
They provide a false sense of security.  On poor weather days, the first
vehicles I
usually see stuck in a ditch are the 4WD SUVs.  My theory:  the 4WD gives a
sense
of superior traction allowing operators to drive more aggressively regarding
the
elements and road conditions.  However, 4WD does not provide commensurate
braking
advantages, so the overconfidence becomes a problem at critical points.

In our climate, I understand the value of 4WD.  But you don't need 3 tonnes of
vehicle to get 4WD.

SUVs that I have experienced leave me baffled.  For example, the
Navigator/Excursion is heavier than my van, almost as tall, and as long.  It
seats
7, my van seats 12.  The Navigator cannot take a 4'x8' sheet flat on the floor
(not
enough room between rear wheel wells).  Most of these high-end SUVs have
leather
interiors and decorative paint jobs.  Where is the utility in this?  As for
sporty,
well, they are generally over-engined, but wallow around like whales when it
comes
to handling.  I guess if you think a top-fueller dragster is a sports car, then
the
archtype SUV would qualify, but my concept of sporty tends to evoke images of
Morgans and similar small, nimble, ground-hugging cars.

If you want to go offroad, there are off-road machines (ATVs) and roadable
vehicles
that do this relatively well.  I think of Willys Overlands, Dodge PowerWagons,
Land
Rovers, LandCruisers, early Jeeps...  Not sporty.  Not even very utilitarian in
most cases.  Not designed to travel 200 km/h.  And not likely to be confused
with
today's SUVs.

My issue with SUVs is that they are not designed to do well anything I value in
vehicle.  Haul people efficiently.  Haul cargo.  Work in off-road environments
(note how many SUVs come as 2WD configurations). Carry a winch.  Get dirty.  In
word - work.  What they do well:  consume a lot of fuel, make a statement about
the
owner's wealth, make our roads less safe for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers
of
other vehicles, generate very large profits for the automakers diverting them
from
focusing on more useful activities (whatever my definition of "more useful"
might
be). In a word - image.

I have nothing against big heavy vehicles being used appropriately.  If you
need to
pull a horse-trailer with 4 horses, hay and tack, a 5th wheel duallie 1-ton
pickup
is probably the way to go.  If you're going to haul garbage, use a garbage
truck,
not a sports car.  If you're commuting, don't use a dump truck.

Technically, the automakers created the distinction.  They coined the term SUV
and
have by virtue of advertising and manufacture created the market segment.  A
pickup
is not an SUV.  A full size van or minivan are not SUVs.  Effectively, an SUV
is a
truck frame and suspension with a station wagon body on it.  Later entrants on
unibody or car frames are generally known as cross-overs, not SUVs (e.g. Subaru
Outback, Saturn VUE).  Side note, the smaller, lighter VUE cross-over can take
a 4'
wide item flat on the floor between the wheel wells, which most hulking SUVs
cannot.

Darryl McMahon
(still looking for an affordable diesel replacement for the venerable van)

"harley3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote;