Since the RAV4 EV can be owned and not just leased, (unlike the EV1,
Honda EV+, Think EV at present, etc.), and since it seems to be a
pretty good EV in many respects, I am wondering if anyone has given
any thought to using a RAV4 EV in a project to equip it with some
hybrid aspect.

Specifically, instead of trying to get too complicated, I was
wondering about loading a small diesel generator into the back of the
vehicle itself and using it to charge the batteries, while the vehicle
is in motion and being powered by the batteries.  This might give the
vehicle some extended range without sacrificing too much performance
due to weight problems.  Since it's already a four-seat small SUV,
perhaps there would be room for this.

Yes, I know, many EV fans would consider this the ruination of a
perfectly good EV, but grid-chargeable hybrids are something I at
least want to see researched, and they may turn out to have their good
qualities, such as (if well-done) superior mileage and range, both.
If the generator were powered by just a few gallons of 100% biodiesel,
and if the mileage were awesome, I think such a car could be
incredible.

Of course, I do not mean to imply disrespect for the costs or
challenges or pitfalls of such a project, just putting the idea out
there to mull over.  One key I think would be finding a suitable
generator in terms of weight and power.  Another would be determining
whether a battery management system and other electronics could manage
the problem of charging and discharging both at the same time.  Even
if this is generally possible in some other vehicles, since the RAV4
might not have been designed for it, and since the batteries are of
considerable value, I'd wonder about that.