Hakan Falk wrote:

>  Many Americans
> would take it as an even larger offense.

    I don't speak for all Americans, but I don't take offense.  It's common
in English to refer to a nation's government by the name of its capital--it's
like a collective noun.  We understand that when a news reporter says:
"According to Moscow", she's really referring to the Russian government.

> If Washington
> lived now, I do not think that he would like to be that
> associated with Bush and what is going on in the city
> that have his name.

    If George Washington lived now, we wouldn't be in this mess!

> Maybe we could start to call both
> America, US and Washington for Bushington instead,
> in the context of what is going on.
>
> How does it sound with "Bushington is obsessed" or
> "Bushington wants war" etc etc.
>
> Hakan

    Sorry, but that doesn't work for me.  I have different ideas about the
whole topic, so please forgive me in advance for the following sermon:

    Whenever we start rattling sabers over here, I can't help but wonder what
would change if citizens began shifting the paradigm of the discussion away
from bellicose rantings about WOMD and lobbied Congress to pressure Mr. Bush
into a sane energy policy.  For what this allegedly fiscally conservative
Republican Administration is willing to spend dropping bombs and shooting
missiles at people in other countries, we could invest in American companies,
American technology and American jobs and let the Arabic peoples solve their
problems without our blundering, near sighted assistance.

    Here are some of my favorite URLs:

        http://www.hydrogencomponents.com/cvi.html

          If Mr. Bush is serious about hydrogen, he doesn't have to invest
billions into the black hole of government partnerships with the auto
industry!  The aftermarket can handle these things quite admirably!

        http://www.acrosolarlasers.com/index.html

           Displacing fossil fuels for home and swimming pool heating is a
good way to reduce dependence on foreign energy supplies.  This company is
even from Texas!

        http://www.sterlingsolar.com/engines.htm

        From Florida, Jeb Bush's domain, Jeff Sterling is trying to market
ORC engines to produce electricity from low temperature sources, like
sunlight, or burning biomass.

        Then, there's the ever controversial William Mook, who advocates a
transition to mass hydrogen production through a solar powered synfuels idea,
initially involving coal.

            http://www.mokindustries.com/pages/762107/index.htm

    We have considerable expertise with solar concentration in my country,
and vast land area with excellent insolation in the western part of the
nation.  For less money than we will spend killing Iraqis, we could eliminate
the need for their oil.  I'm not convinced that government partnerships will
be of benefit, but our government could shift its tax policy to favor certain
sectors by promoting private investment in the renewable fuels industry.

     Without the pesky obsession for energy that dominates our foreign
policy, then perhaps we could become the world's leader for promoting human
rights.  Maybe we could spend more time weeding out corruption, greed and the
exploitation of less wealthy, less powerful people, and we would shine like
the beacon we envision ourselves to be.

    We could do a LOT more good by turning our attention to technology that's
currently available, reducing our need for energy by serious and intelligent
conservation; we'd create domestic jobs in the process and eliminate the
funding sources for terrorists and "rogue nations".

    That's my patriotic vision.  As my sister said to me last night: "Dissent
IS NOT unAmerican!"

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind