Here are the  results of my other reprocessing tests.
1st - I used 3.5g lye and 200 ml Methanol - the biodiesel cleared and another
80-100 ml of glycerol settled out.  The biodiesel on top has the appearance of
clarity , but it also looked like it has a bit of methanol still left in that
layer, as it appeared swirly (you know like when salt water and freh water mix
and it is kind of like a heat mirage?)
washing was terrible - just went totally cloudy and mayonaisse.
2nd -  I tried it again with 50 ml methanol and 1g lye - some glycerol
seperated out, but the biodiesel on top was still cloudy.
3rd - Used 100 ml methanol and 2g lye.  Similar to previous, some glycerol
settling out (roughly double the amount of the 50ml/1g test as you might
expect), but still cloudy on top.
 So perhaps I need to use an amout in between 100ml/2g and 200ml/3.5 g?  But I
tried to process a new batch of the same oil with 250ml methanol and 7g lye - I
got strong clear seperation of biodiesel/glycerine, but still cloudy on top.
Argghhh.
Keith, I am still waiting for the water to drop out of the oil that I washed -
it is well mixed in there and drying only slowly, once it does I will test it.
Is it normal for the water to get so hung up?
Thanks for any pointers.
jk
Jack Kenworthy
Sustainable Systems Director