In order to increase crop output, two crops can be grown in areas
that have a long enough growing season. I recently read about Indiana
lower two thirds being able to grow winter wheat and a crop of
sunflowers. It would be a great way to use up nitrogen around CAFO's.

I've heard of peas and rape, but have not heard about alot of double
cropping. Do others know of more examples?

Wouldn't hemp supply a use for fallow fields in the summer. Would
they hold more water than what would evaporate? Seems like in a
drought it would be the most able to produce usable mass. What is the
growning seasons for hemp?