No, they call it "pomme frit" (maybe wrong spelling). I do not
write well in French, if at all. Belgians too, if I remember right.
Swedish borrowed it and it is "pomfrit". In Spanish it is pure
translation "patatas fritas". What I know, the only language
that connect it to French is American English. English it is chips,
like in "fish and chips" or "deep fried". Maybe the English now
also call it "French fries", to maintain the "special relationship".
Which I think the Americans call "brown noseing". Maybe not
so obvious by Blair, but for sure obvious by Aznar.

Both UK and Spain have 70% of population against going to war
without UN mandate, it would actually be against international
law to do it. If US go alone with a no approval, of the new
resolution, it is against international law. I therefore expect that
US/UK/Spain will redraw the suggested resolution and try to
base the war on resolution 1441. But it is unclear if they can do
that, without an official resolution from UN that declare Iraq in
breach of 1441. If US/UK go to war without UN approval, they are
in fact joining the famous club of rouge states that they so
often refer to. They are also following Germany's foot path, before
WWII, that caused the predecessor of UN to be dissolved.
No respect for international law and order (do not shoot me, I am
only a messenger of facts).

Hakan

At 10:22 PM 3/12/2003 +0900, you wrote:
>The French may have invented French fries, if not potatoes. Don't the
>French call French fries English fries?
>
>I think we only know one type of potato, there are hundreds of types
>in their homeland in the Andes, all sorts of different-coloured flesh
>and skins (including purple). There are some great Andean root crops,
>starting to be a bit better known now.
>
>Check out this one:
>http://www.futurefoods.com/oca_notes.html
>Oca - Oxalis tuberosa
>One of the Lost Crops of the Incas, Oca tubers are an important
>staple in the high Andes, grown amongst potatoes and another gem from
>the region, Ulluco...
>
>Nice site, by the way:
>http://www.futurefoods.com/
>Future Foods - Weird & wonderful edible plants
>
>Keith
>

> >Potatoes weren't even a French discovery. It's an American one, albeit,
> >South American (Andean Incas), and around 750 bc at that. The French didn't
> >get potatoes until the mid 1700's. Deep fried (frenched) potatoes was a
> >Belgian invention.
> >
> >Our "house" has some real idiots in it, but it's our fault, we voted them
> >in.
> >

> >Steve Spence
> >Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter
> >& Discussion Boards. Read about Sustainable Technology:
> >http://www.green-trust.org
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM