  From: Keith Addison
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 12:14 AM
  Subject: Re: Sasol - was [biofuel] PENTAGON THREATENS TO KILL INDEPENDANT
REPORTERS

  >This Sasol plant in South Africa sounds interesting.  Any connection
  >to the German technology?

  Well, yes, of course - didn't you read my first message? It's at the
  bottom, but I'll put it here at the top:

  >  >  Not so. This is what happened - posted here previously by a list member:
  >  >
  >  >  > "One of our oldest scientists, now 84 yrs. old, was responsible for
  >  >  >going into Germany post WWII and uncovering the remains of Hitler's
  >  >  >synthetic fuels machine which had been bombed out. I'm speaking of
  >  >  >Fischer-Tropsch oily-based paraffins which are hydrocracked down
  >  >  >into shorter chains for synthetic gasoline, jet fuel and diesel. He
  >  >  >brought back some of the original German scientists who'd perfected
  >  >  >this technology which utilized coarse, low-grade brown German coal
  >  >  >as feedstock. Three times he tried to start-up an American version
  >  >  >of synthetic hydrocarbon fuels in the GTL arena and was blocked. As
  >  >  >the highest ranking American energy technologist post WWII, he
  >  >  >couldn't figure this out. It was over 20 years later that he
  >  >  >realized that the late John Rockefeller of Standard Oil [Exxon] had
  >  >  >been the politic behind the scenes, making sure that his new,
  >  >  >alternative fuel ideas did not materialize. This scientist then took
  >  >  >his blueprints for the first major GTL project and gave them to
  >  >  >Sasol who built his first coal gasification device back in 1953 and
  >  >  >it is still operating today. Sasol from South Africa is the oldest
  >  >  >synthetic fuels producer globally."

  ---

  >We have in Canada, a massive store of petroleum in the Athabasca Tar
  >Sands.  Estimates are that it is 400 times (or was it 4,000) times
  >the known regular world oil reserves.  It is oil soaked shale,
  >costly to extract.
  >
  >It appears the death of investments in extraction was recently
  >effected by the idiot government signing the Kyoto protocal.

  It may be an "idiot government" (which one isn't?) but not for
  signing the Kyoto Protocol. There's quite a lot about the Kyoto
  Potocol in the archives, it's shortcomings included, and what you'll
  also find there is how studies in so many countries, including
  Canada, have found that it's to be viewed as a great business
  opportunity, and also that any country that doesn't get into it
  yesterday already is going to be left behind, economically and
  competitiuvely.

  Re oil shale and other "too-expensive" resources, did you read this
  link in my previous message?

  >See:
  >  http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=11083&list=biofuel&related=1

  Try an archive search for "oil shale" (include quotes).

  Best wishes

  Keith

  >Ed B

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM