Hi Craig

Bit rushed, but will this do?

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=15332

Which Corporation Owns Your Vote?

By Thom Hartmann, AlterNet
March 6, 2003

"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by
which all other rights are protected. To take away this right is to
reduce a man to slavery..." - Thomas Paine

Santa Clara County, of all jurisdictions in America, should have
known better. They could have started by looking at Florida.

Jeb Bush stole the vote in Florida in 2000 by kicking thousands of
legitimately registered black voters off the voting rolls because
they had similar names to Texas felons, a feat well documented by
Greg Palast http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=10562 and the
mainstream British press. In a brilliant bit of misdirection, Bush
portrayed the problem as one of incompetent elderly voters, dumb
minority voters, and a problem with "chads" - unreliable voting
technology.

Bush's answer was to install touch-screen voting machines across
Florida in time for the 2002 election. (In this, he was following a
similar course as Georgia, Texas, and 30 other key states, in large
part because of $3.9 billion in federal funds offered by the "Help
America Vote Act" passed just after the 2000 election to encourage
states to replace government-run paper-trail vote systems with
no-paper-trail computerized systems from private corporate vendors.)

But in the November 2002 election, when some Florida voters pressed
the touch-screen "button" for Bush's Democratic opponent, votes were
instead recorded for Bush. "Misaligned" touch-screen voting machines
were blamed for the computer-driven vote-theft, and when a losing
candidate in Palm Beach sued to inspect the software of Florida's
computerized voting machines, a local judge denied the petition,
citing the privacy rights of the corporation that wrote the programs.

This was followed by January 2003 revelations that Republican Senator
Chuck Hagel was the former head (and a current stockholder) of the
private voting machine company that tabulated the vote in Nebraska -
where he ran for office and won - and that he had neglected to tell
Senate ethics investigators about it.

And in February of 2003, Bev Harris of BlackBoxVoting.com
http://www.blackboxvoting.com/ noticed a wide-open FTP site. Harris
had just done a Google search on the company that tabulated most of
the vote in Georgia in the 2002 election. (That was the upset
election that saw popular war-hero Max Cleland, who lost three limbs
in Vietnam, defeated by a poll-trailing draft dodger who campaigned
by questioning Cleland's patriotism.) Walking into the unsecured FTP
website, she says she found a software patch that was apparently
applied statewide to Georgia's voting machines just days before the
election, and a folder titled "rob-georgia."
http://www.blackboxvoting.com/georgia-fix.html

And corporate control of America's vote has reached beyond the
borders of this nation. The last week of February, New York's
"Newsday" reported in a story by staff writer Mark Harrington that:
"Election.com, a struggling Garden City start-up scheduled to provide
online absentee ballots for U.S. military personnel in the 2004
federal election, has quietly sold controlling power to an investment
group with ties to unnamed Saudi nationals, according to company
correspondence."

Fast-forward a few days to the first week of March, 2003.

Dan Spillane, a former software engineer for a voting machine company
that includes a former CIA Director and Dick Cheney's former
assistant on its board of directors, has sued his employer for firing
him when he pointed out holes in their system that he claims could
lead to vote-rigging. Although there is a certification process for
ensuring the honesty of votes tabulated by computerized, touch-screen
voting machines, according to Spillane the system works "very much
like Arthur Andersen in the Enron case." ( Anderson Consulting has
renamed itself, added Microsoft's CEO to its board, and gone into the
business of helping corporations get contracts to perform previously
government-run services.)

Spillane filed his lawsuit the same week that Santa Clara County,
California decided to hand their electoral process over to
computerized electronic voting machines programmed by a private
corporation. The machines generate no paper trail that can be
audited, and when voting machine companies have been challenged to
produce audits of their vote or to disclose details of their
software, they cite the privacy rights that come from corporations
being considered "persons" in the United States.

Of all localities in America, Santa Clara County should have been the
wariest. This is the county, after all, that sued the Southern
Pacific Railroad in 1886 over non-payment of taxes and, in losing the
lawsuit, paved the way for the corporate takeover of the United
States of America.

When the railroad suggested to the Supreme Court that the Fourteenth
Amendment, which freed the slaves by guaranteeing all persons equal
protection under the law regardless of race, had also freed
corporations because they should be considered "persons" just like
humans, the attorney for Santa Clara County, Delphin M. Delmas,
fought back ferociously.

"The shield behind which [the Southern Pacific Railroad] attacks the
Constitution and laws of California is the Fourteenth Amendment,"
said Delmas before the Supreme Court. "It argues that the Amendment
guarantees to every person within the jurisdiction of the State the
equal protection of the laws; that a corporation is a person; that,
therefore, it must receive the same protection as that accorded to
all other persons in like circumstances."

The entire idea was beyond the pale, Delmas said. "The whole history
of the Fourteenth Amendment," he told the Court, "demonstrates beyond
dispute that its whole scope and object was to establish equality
between men - an attainable result - and not to establish equality
between natural and artificial beings - an impossible result."

The purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment, passed just after the Civil
War, was clear, Delmas said. "Its mission was to raise the humble,
the down-trodden, and the oppressed to the level of the most exalted
upon the broad plane of humanity - to make man the equal of man; but
not to make the creature of the State - the bodiless, soulless, and
mystic creature called a corporation - the equal of the creature of
God."

He summarized his pleadings before the Supreme Court by saying,
"Therefore, I venture to repeat that the Fourteenth Amendment does
not command equality between human beings and corporations; that the
state need not subject corporations to the same laws which govern
natural persons; that it may, without infringing the rule of
equality, confer upon corporations rights, privileges, and immunities
which are not enjoyed by natural persons; that it may, for the same
reasons, impose burdens upon a corporation, in the shape of taxation
or otherwise, which are not imposed upon natural persons."

Delmas had every reason to assume the Court would agree with him - it
already had in several similar cases. In an 1873 decision, Justice
Samuel F. Miller wrote in the majority opinion that the Fourteenth
Amendment's "one pervading purpose was the freedom of the slave race,
the security and firm establishment of that freedom, and the
protection of the newly-made freeman and citizen from the oppression
of those who had formerly exercised unlimited dominion over him."

And, in fact, the Court chose to stay with its previous precedent. It
ruled on the tax aspects of the case, but explicitly avoided any
decision on whether or not corporations were persons. "There will be
no occasion to consider the grave questions of constitutional law"
raised by the railroad, the Court ruled in its majority opinion. The
case was about property taxes and not personhood, and, "As the
judgment can be sustained upon this ground, it is not necessary to
consider any other questions raised by the pleadings."

But just as computerized voting machines can be reprogrammed, so too,
apparently, could a U.S. Supreme Court decision. The Court's reporter
- a former railroad president - took it upon himself to grant
corporations personhood in the commentary (headnote) he wrote on the
case, even though it explicitly contradicted the Justices' ruling
itself. (And to this day other forms of association, like unions,
unincorporated small businesses, and even governments do not have
personhood rights.)

But corporations have claimed the First Amendment right of persons to
free speech and struck down thousands of state and federal laws
against corporations giving money to politicians or influencing
elections; they've claimed Fourteenth Amendment rights against
discrimination to prevent communities from "discriminating" against
huge out-of-town retailers or corporate criminals; and have claimed
Fourth Amendment rights of privacy that will prevent voters or public
officials from examining the software that runs their computerized
voting machines.

Now corporations will be telling the citizens of Santa Clara County
how they voted. And those same corporations will use the shield of
corporate personhood - once valiantly disputed before the Supreme
Court by the County's attorney - to withhold from the County's voters
the right to "look behind the curtain" at the corporate-owned
software and computerized processes that tabulate their vote. How
sadly ironic.

Thom Hartmann http://www.thomhartmann.com is the author of "Unequal
Protection: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human
Rights." http://www.unequalprotection.com Copyright 2003 by Thom
Hartmann, used with permission.

>Doug (and Steve.)
>
>Maybe Keith will pipe in with some more URL's, but here's one:
>http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4198796,00.html
>
>I've heard a couple of reports on this on the BBC about the company that
>the State of Florida contracted with to identify convicted felons (who
>aren't allowed to vote in Florida, like most states.)
>
>Apparently, someone in the Secretary of State's office used a computer
>program to identify the most common African-American surnames, then
>found, using the database provided by the company contracting with them,
>felons with those surnames, then disqualified *everyone* with that
>surname - on the theory that this wide net would "catch" - and
>disqualify - more African-American voters than whites. And since
>African-Americans in Florida, like most places, tend to vote Democratic
>they'd disenfranchise a lot more would-be Democrats than Republicans.
>
>When, *after the election,* many of the non-felon but
>prohibited-from-voting African Americans complained, it was blamed on
>computer error - *and* those wrongly disenfranchised voters were never
>permitted to cast their votes.
>
>Sounds a lot like rigging of an election to me. What am I missing?
>
>Craig
>
>Doug Foskey wrote:
>
> >  On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:04, you wrote:
> > > Bush was not elected on a rigged election. He was elected by the
> > electoral
> > > college, per the design of our government.
> > >
> > > There was nothing improper about the election except the democrats
> > attempt
> > > to change law to cook the numbers.
> > >
> > > Funny they had no problem with the voting system in Florida in
> > previous
> > > elections.
> > >

> > > Steve Spence
> >
> > All I can say is that from here it looked anything but fair - many
> > voters'
> > were disenfranchised, and the way the count was accomplished seemed to
> > me as
> > an outsider, definitely not one man, one vote - ie a fair election.
> >   As I said, in Australia, I think a fresh election would have been
> > called if
> > there was any doubt.
> > Doug

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/FGYolB/TM