Well...I think one of the big social changes that we are experiencing is this
formum and what makes it possible...the Internet. Never before has the little
guy had so much information from so many sources so available to him. And, the
means to discuss it with anyone around the globe. It is a lot more difficult
for someone to misrepresent things these days. People can get on the Internet
and check sources, discuss with others, etc., from the smallest towns around
the world. If someone wants to discuss and learn about biofuels, it might be
difficult with a neighbor in Podunk, USA. But, I can sit in Saudi Arabia, and
discuss things with Keith in Japan, Girl-Mark in California, Steve in New
Jersey, Hakan in Sweden, and so on. That is amazingly powerful. I think it has
started to, and will continue to, lead to incredible social change.
Information is very powerful and will lead to democratization and other social
benefits. 'Leaders' try to control people with lies, half-truths, propaganda,
public relations campaigns, etc., but this should be more difficult if this
medium is available. Look at the discussions we have had on this list recently
about corporate PR and how they attempt to influence peoples thinking. Just
our increased awareness from these discussions helps us realize and discount a
lot of what we are being fed. Now, when someone discusses an event in the US
Congress and its implications, such as a bill concerning oil drilling on the
North Slope of Alaska, we can have people from Australia or India chiming in
with their take of the event. If we want to influence voting in Congress by
letting our Congressmen or Senators know what we think about something, we can
have e-mail storms to get the word out to mobilize the electorate. Small
groups should have less of an ability to slip things through, because the
ability to get the word out to a tremendous number of people is increased by e-
mail and the Internet. Alternative views were never this public before. It
used to be that one depended on books, newspapapers, regular mail newsletters,
word-of-mouth, telephoning, etc. By the time someone found out something and
cared to act on it, months could go by. But now, to use an example of the NRA,
they can find out about something concerning gun control taking place in the
Senate, and all million plus of their members know about it within hours and
they are on the telephone calling up their representatives.

I don't want to sound too dramatic, but I truly can not think of any other
single influence as important. It ranks with the industrial revolution and
similar historical events on its importance.

Derek Hargis
> I would disagree.   I believe the world is becoming LESS democratic.   No
> matter what any report says.
>
> Oh sure, votes are being taken ... laws enacted by counting those votes.
> But now PR agencies kick in ... paid for by powerful, invisible "small"
> groups of people ... who basically "sway" the votes ...one way or the other.
> The details .... Keith explains it well (help me out here, Keith).
>
> So once again ... a small group of people (sway the votes and ) control the
> laws being written.  Laws that govern (spelled R.U.L.E.S.) all.  Once again
> ... UNDEMOCRATIC.
>
> So to me, the authoritarianism isn't really disappearing ... it's just going
> underground.
>
> Curtis
>
> Get your free newsletter at
> http://www.ezinfocenter.com/3122155/NL

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/FGYolB/TM