On 25 Apr 2003 at 14:25, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

> Has anyone been watching the new series on Discovery Television?
> While the first show about an underwater tube train from America to
[SNIP]
[SNIP]
> Maybe, some engineers are trying to make a better world?

Oi, back off yobbo. As a professional Engineer, I take offence at this
"throw away line". As an Engineer, in particular a Civil Engineer, I am
ever mindful of the surrounding environment and strive to make the
world a better place for society to live in. Given the money,
Engineers could fix most of the world ill's but in reality, we have to
deal with the "bean counters" and politicians who are only worried
about either this years balance sheet or the election next year. Try
telling a politician that he should spend X million dollars on a project
that will only start to bear fruit 15 years into the future, and may
actually be unpopular for the next 5 years - fat chance of getting your
money.

        So in closing Engineers, in particular Civil Engineers, are
very concerned about a better world and try to make our world a
better world with the meagre financial resources we are given. The
blame actually lies elsewhere.

        Andrew - B.Eng(Civil)

> Bright Blessings,
> Kim