I just recently got an almost-free still (industrial solvent recovery still
with a huge vacuum unit, salivate, salivate) and started thinking about the
options that opens up for other fuels (ethanol).. I didn't set it up yet as
we're trenching for power for it next weekend at the earliest, and I don't
know for sure that its entirely intact.

with my electric heating setup, I've had a hard time dewatering
extra-bad-quality WVO. Since I do two-stage process, I can handle high ffa
content, I just hate dewatering, and I'd like to expand the range of crappy
oil (McDonald's...) I utilize.

anyway I had a thought that someone else might be able to utilize sooner
than I would. How about pulling a vacuum on a container of WVO (such as an
electric water heater) and distilling off the water vapor at a lower temp?
I haven't built such a unit but it seems like one way to get around the
awful energy use issues for dewatering since up to a point, it takes less
energy to operate a vacuum pump than it does to operate a heating
element.  Refrigerator compressors can pull some vacuum and are free.

Does anyone know offhand how much vacuum the fridge compressors pull? I was
thinking additionally about using one of my 55gallon drums for this- turn a
closed head drum upside down, thread a heating element into the larger
bung, weld a couple of fittings into what is now the top, and connect them
to a source of vacuum and an outlet for the water vapor. I know that drums
can't handle much vacuum, too, but water heaters are free as well so one
could try that if it collapses a drum (I prefer drums as they're more
portable).

can someone point me to where I would find info on how much vacuum one
needs to lower the boiling point of water, and by how much?

thanks,
mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM