paul van den bergen wrote:

>Can some one direct me to a definitive answer on the transesterification
>mechanism and in particular the role and nature of the catalyst?

Paul,
There isn't a true catalyst in the reaction. The sodium methoxide which
is added is partially used up in the reaction. A true catalyst goes in a
cycle and is left to be used repeatedly. I could possibly get my sister
[BS Chemistry] to write about it. Try searching google.com for details,
I'm sure someone has a web page about the reaction.

--
---
Martin Klingensmith

Get A Free Psychic Reading!