Thanks Kirk, I thought this was a fun explanation to read.  I've
always just used 1 kWh = 3412 BTU, but this was much more in-depth.

On Sat, 3 May 2003 07:41:49 -0600, "kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

British thermal unit (Btu) a unit of heat energy defined as the amount
of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one
degree Fahrenheit. In America the British thermal unit is sometimes
called the heat unit. In defining the Btu, it is necessary to specify
the temperature of the water; thus there have been several definitions
over the years. However, one Btu is equal to about 251.996 (small)
calories, or 0.251 996 of the (kilo-)calories counted by dieters.
Using the current definition of the calorie (the IT calorie), one
Btu equals approximately 778.169 foot pounds, 1.055 056 kilojoules or
0.293 071 watt hour.

kilowatt (kW) a common metric unit of power, equivalent to 1000 watts,
about 1.341 022 horsepower, or 737.562 foot-pounds per second.

kilowatt hour (kWáh or kw hr) the commercial unit of electric energy.
One kilowatt hour represents the amount of energy delivered a rate of
1000 watts over a period of one hour. Since the watt is 1 joule/sec
and there are 3600 seconds in an hour, the kilowatt hour is equivalent
to exactly 3.6 megajoules of energy, or about 3412.141 Btu, 859.846
(kilogram) Calories, or about 2.655 million foot pounds.

Kirk