Pham writes:

>  I am doing a project about ethyl lactate production which needs
>ethanol as an intermediate product. After considering raw material
>prices as well as conversion factor, me and my friends shoot for oats
>for raw material. But my professor raised the question why not corn
>but oats while everybody produces ethanol from corn? Is it because
>common sense tell us to use corn or any other reason behind?

 From my days as a homebrewer (ales), I seem to remember lots
of oats in the mash (eg, oatmeal stouts) can run the risk of a
"stuck mash", where the grain gets so gummed up with that
soluble fiber that oats has, that you can't get the liquid out of
the grain. Also, oats are pretty high in fat -- might make some
weird additions to the mix if used in high percentage. Just guessing.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with ethyl lactate? I was
interested in it myself once, as a possible fuel.....-K

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM