----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<snip>
> But, please, to each his own. You're wrong about Aleks's
> recommendations, but as I said, the method has proven to be
> adaptible, so please do it your way. But please don't say it's the
> only way that works, because it's not. It works best and most often
> as presented. And yes, I do know that, if anyone does, because I
> certainly get more direct feedback on it than anyone else does.
>
> Best
>
> Keith

Now I am not criticising Alex or his method.
What I am concerned about is a possible variability which could explain why
some people have had trouble with the method.
I'm sure you will agree that the aim is to make well reacted biodiesel with
the minimum of mono and diglycerides.
The second stage of the acid/base methods is basically the same as a single
stage base only method. The exception being that with the acid/base second
stage we are reacting a mixture of fat/oil, esters, unconverted FFA (could
be very low ammounts) and any residual acidity from the sulphuric acid used,
compared to fat/oil and FFA in the case of single stage base. (impurities
and contaminants would be common to both for the same fat/oil sample)
Back to the acid/base method. Depending upon the FFA level of the feedstock
and the presence of sufficient methanol, the first stage product now
consists of a mixture of ester and fat/oil. The fat/oil, component of the
mix could be roughly calculated from the FFA % of the feedstock.
If the first stage product was neutral the ammount of NaOH per litre
required for the second stage could be calculated by multiplying the
catalyst ammount by 100 minus the origional FFA and dividing that by 100.
(3.5g x [100-FFA%) x litres / 100
My point is that I have found that the first stage product is not always
neutral and hence I would suggest it be treated the same as a single base
method.
ie use enough NaOH in the methoxide to neutralise the acidity and perform
the roll of catalyst.

i see biodiesel in the same light as photography,  learn by the rules and
then break them.

regards Paul Gobert.

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM