Hi Mark A

??? - what was wrong with "Girl Mark"? :-)

>oops, sorry about sending the last lengthy message twice.
>
>Here is Todd Swearingen's modified two-stage acid base method for test
>batches:
>
>Please take a look at it if you're interested in trying out this method, maby
>people are put off by thinking they'll need a specialized reactor to try acid-
>base (I certainly thought so for a long time).

I don't know why people think that - can you tell me why? If there's
something that misleads I'll fix it.

> However, I fully agree with Todd that it';s STUPID to use an open flame
>around alcohols. Please do this on an electric hot plate, or in a
>crockpot as a
>hot-water bath, not the way he's suggesting (sorry Todd!)

I've become sceptical (okay - even more sceptical) about shaking
stuff up in bottles. I posted this recently about it, and also about
test batches for acid-base - guess you missed it because you were in
Iowa:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=24875&list=BIOFUEL

This is the acid-base bit:

>For acid-base two-stage mini-batch tests, by the way, we stand a
>small stainless steel pot in a double-boiler on a hot plate and
>agitate with a drill and paint-stirrer. No problem.

It's not actually a double-boiler, it's for making spaghetti - the
inner "pot" is full of holes like a collander. Pre-heat the oil in
the "reactor" pot. Pre-heat water in the double boiler. Figure out
the water level first - as much as possible but not enough for the
reactor pot (plus oil etc) to float. The reactor pot has a quite
tight-fitting lid with a hole for the stirrer. The reactor pot is
kept in position with four small PET bottles filled with water wedged
between it and the collander. Drill mounted on a stand. Easy to
maintain the temp. Then just follow the directions:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html

Best

Keith

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM