Hello Jay

>Hi all, I'm new to this list, I've searched the archives, but I
>haven't really found any useful info on comparisons of 2-stroke oils
>to a vegggie based oil.

It's there though - info on using biodiesel instead of two-stroke
oil, also info on other veggie-based oils.

>I am a regular 2 stroke motorcycle rider, I usually use a mineral
>based synthetic 2-stroke oil, but I want to go to a vegetable based
>oil. I can special order it at the local motorcycle shop, but it is
>stupidly expensive. Has anyone here had any success making a vegetable
>based 2-stroke mix? I read in the archives that it is possible to run
>just straight castor oil, but the oil that you can buy isn't rated for
>viscocity etc. so how do I know how much/which one to use?
>Oh and my bikes pretty much all run at 50:1 if that helps.

Suggest you try using biodiesel, but maybe try a richer mix first.
There's been some advice about this too, pros and cons. Got an old
motor to experiment with? Anyway, "experiment" is the word, no
guarantees! (So don't sue me!)

I haven't done this personally, but I will be doing it quite soon - I
have some two-stroke motors here that I'll be working with, none in
working order now, but I should be able to get them going: a
weed-cutter, a chain-saw, and three sprayers, one of which probably
works, the others probably repairable. We don't have any use for
chemical sprays, but we do use seaweed emulsion and compost-tea
sprays, and the spare sprayer motors could be useful for driving
pumps or whatever. I'll be using biodiesel with them, and later
ethanol, hopefully.

Please let us know anything else you find, including archives stuff,
it could use a refresh.

By the way, Yahoo's archives is best ignored, use the independent
archives at NNYTech, for the Biofuel and Biofuels-biz lists - much
faster, powerful search functions, and no ads:
http://archive.nnytech.net/

Best

Keith

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM