Hello Ken, Andreas

>Andreas writes:
> >

> >regarding my experiments to remove the FFAs
> >before conversion:
> >

> >titrate the WVO, add water and the required
> >amount of lye (just the amount that is needed to
> >convert the FFAs to soap). Then let the soap settle
> >down,separate them from the oil (e.g. by filtering)
> >and process the remaining oil like virgin oil
>

> >I tried the saponification with WVO and virgin oil
> >and the result currently is: There seems to be
> >immediately soap production happening (creamy
> >color) at room temperature, but - the stuff does
> >not separate and filtering does not remove the soap.
> >

>Caustic refining on an industrial scale usually involves
>a centrifuge to separate the soap. I have found that huge
>amounts of hot water can break the emulsion, and Keith
>has had good results using small amounts of water and
>allowing the soap flocs to settle. In all cases, mixing
>of the alkali must be VERY gentle to avoid forming a
>permanent emulsion.    -K

Very gentle yes.

More about that here:

Deacidifying WVO
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#deacid

Quite a lot more about it at the Biofuels-bizz archives, search for
"High FFA oils - another way" (including quotes) and follow the
thread.
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=1310&list=biofuels-biz&related=1

Best

Get A Free Psychic Reading!