Hi

So after playing with the single stage for a
while, I have produced a good clear final
product. I have bought a hot plate magnetic
stirrer for $360 USD that has helped for
titrations etc.

I have played with the two stage process and the
final product has turned to jelly. I have
followed the 2-stage instructions exactly -
timer, burettes, +/- 1mg weighing scale, 97%
H2SO4, hot plate stirrer with closed loop
temperature control and digit speed and temp
output. The chemicals are all analytical grade
and the oil requires only 0.1cc of 0.1M NaOH
solution to pH 8.5.

I heat 1000cc of oil up to 35'C. I add 80cc of
99.5% Methanol and stir for 5 minutes. I then add
1cc of 97% H2SO4 and stir for 1 hour. I then cut
the heat and stir for a further hour. The mixture
does not separate but is left for minimum 8hrs
usually 12. I re-heat the still liquid mixture to
55'C and add 3.5g NaOH and 120cc Methanol. I stir
for 1 hr and leave to settle. The final product
doesn't settle and congeals over time.

Keith - I am lost. Some where along the line soap
is formed. I will re-run the experiment and
comment tomorrow.

On a larger scale - could a 1um filter /
coalescer unit be used to pre-process heated oil?

Regards

Mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/FGYolB/TM