Telling Americans that they should take their cars to the salvage yard
is tantamount to telling them to give their children up for adoption.
Automobiles are an integral part of Americans' self-image.  People
identify themselves by the vehicles they drive.  We won't have much luck
convincing everyone that they should trade in their "classic" gas hogs
or modern SUV's for hybrid EV's.  A better short-term strategy would be
to convince them that they should alter their driving habits.
Technologies and driving techniques that provide better fuel economy
should be developed and promoted.  There are valve stem caps that
indicate at a glance if the tires are properly aired, keeping your
vehicle tuned up greatly improves efficiency, etc.  Additionally, most
aftermarket parts that were designed for increased performance will also
yield better fuel economy if the vehicle is driven normally.  Convincing
people to drive less would be considerably easier if the price of
petroleum fuels was even close to the actual cost (i.e. no government
subsidization).  Then, many people would be forced to make conscious
decisions to drive.  Unfortunately there will always be people who are
willing to buy gasoline regardless of the cost.  What we don't want is a
situation where driving a gas guzzler becomes a status symbol.  We don't
want people bragging that their vehicles get 10mpg as a way to show how
they can afford to waste "expensive" gasoline.  What we need is exactly
the opposite culture.  We should nurture the cult of high mileage.  If
we were able to create a climate of individuals competing for the
highest mileage, we would all win.  Fuel economy is a performance
function in much the same way that horsepower, torque, and acceleration
are.  Since motorsports seem to be the main force behind automotive
technology, devising sports (or classes within existing sports) that
limit the amount of fuel vehicles are allowed to use would go far
glamorizing and legitimizing high mileage in the minds of Americans, and
would force higher efficiency technology to evolve.  In the end we would
end up with guys standing around a car with an open hood talking about
how it goes from 0 - 60 in 6 seconds AND gets 60 mpg.

-BRAH