Been there and Done that and believe me I do not want to go back to it.  Give
me 80 everywhere except in the city...or better still, lets go AutoBahn
everywhere.....in other words no limits
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tim Castleman
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 2:18 PM
  Subject: [biofuel] Help lobby the lobbyists?

  by Tim Castleman

  www.drive55.org

  In my efforts to promote the Drive 55 Conservation Project I have contacted
over 80 organizations dedicated to political activism oŠn behalf of human
rights and the environment.

  It has been frustrating to be ignored by all of them, but I think I know why,
and this is what I need some help with. These groups all have a lot oŠn their
agenda already, and limited resources to apply to the issues they are concerned
with.

  The Drive 55 Conservation Project proposal is not very appealing to many
people, though most would certainly agree it has no downside whatsoever. I
think we would all agree that the general public tends to follow trends. In
other words, if a popular actor, celebrity or political action group says
something is cool, then the public tends to agree and will modify their
behavior or take action accordingly.

  Once a trend takes hold with a certain percentage of the people, it quickly
spreads and becomes popular with the rest. As unpopular as the Drive 55
Conservation Project proposal may seem now, if these organizations could be
convinced to endorse it, the chances of success improve substantially.

  Therefore, I am asking for your help to lobby these organizations, urging
them to endorse the project. Please look over the list, and if you find you are
a member or supporter of any of them, take a few minutes to send a letter or
e-mail asking them to endorse the Drive 55 Conservation Project. If they hear
from you it will help them to have confidence there is public support and
encourage their endorsement.

  Thank you in advance for your care and concern for this fragile environment
we all share. All of the following have been contacted requesting their support
of the Drive 55 Conservation Project. None have indicated they would. Please
take action today!

  Act for Change.com
  Al Franken
  Alternatives Magazine
  AlterNet.org
  Arianna Huffington
  Arizona Democracy Group
  Arizona Green Party
  Boycott USA.org
  BoycottAmerica.org
  BoycottBush.org
  BoycottUS.net
  CA League of Conservation Voters
  Campus Greens
  CleanAirNow.org
  Cockeyed.com (gas price watcher)
  Co-Op America
  Corporate Watch.org
  DemocracyNow.org
  Democrats.com
  DNC (Democratic National Committee)
  EarthdayResources.org
  Ecopledge.com
  EcoVote.org
  EMS (Environmental Media Services)
  Essential.org
  e-thepeople.org
  EthicalConsumer.org
  ForUSA.org
  Freetheplanet.org
  Friends of the Earth
  Frootsmag.com
  Global Exchange
  Green Party of California
  GreenCorps.org
  GreenpartyUS.org
  Greenpeace
  Greens.org
  HIA (Hemp Industries Association)
  IndyMedia.org
  InFact.org
  International A.N.S.W.E.R. (L.A, S.F., D.C. & NYC)
  Kucinich for President
  League of Conservation Voters
  Michael Moore
  Motherearth.org
  Motherjones.com
  MoveON.org
  National Council of La Raza
  National Energy Policy Initiative
  National Head Start Association
  Natural Capitalism
  NewEnergyFuture.com
  NonViolence.org
  NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council)
  Peace-Action.org
  Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR)
  PIRG.org
  Protecting Arizona's Family Coalition
  Protest.net
  Rainforest Action Network
  RNC (Republican National Committee)
  Rock the Vote
  Rocky Mountain Institute
  SacGreens.org
  Salon.com
  SF Chronicle
  Sierra Club
  Sierra Student Coalition
  Sojourners
  Soros Foundations, OSI, New York
  StopSpending.org
  StudentPIRGs.org
  The Detroit Project
  The Nation Magazine
  Thom Hartmann .com
  TrueMajority.com
  TruthOut.com
  United for a Fair Economy (UFE)
  USPirg.org
  VoiceYourself.com (Woody's Harrelson's site)
  VoteNoWar.org
  VoterMarch.org
  Wellstone Action (wellstone.org)
  Women's Action for New Directions (WAND)
  Working Assets
  Working for Change

  A web-linked list is online now at www.drive55.org under the "Action" section.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor