>Hi Folks,
>  Been thinking and reading from a few discussion groups.  The topic
>of using veg-oil as lubricant in place of petrol-based motor oil was
>brought up in another forum (
>http://biodiesel.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?
>a=tpc&s=465094322&f=166094322&m=5933090327 )with the idea of using an
>interesting contraption ( http://www.webb-
>sales.com/product_enginelube.htm )which takes some of the engine oil
>and injects it into the cylinders to be combusted while the oil is
>then replaced with new oil from a reservoir (or in the case of an SVO
>run engine, from the tank).  By using such a device some problems
>associated with veg-oil as lubricant could be mitigated by it
>constantly being replaced by fresh oil.
>  Now here's the question:  How would this system effect an ethanol-
>run engine?  Guess there would be problems in mixing of the fuels,
>ethanol and oil, especially if it's 95 proof containing water.
>  At any rate, wanted to bring the veg-oil lubricant and oil system
>topic up here for all to see.
>
>Ben

Great! Let's try it - on your car. I guess there's no evidence that
it'll cause any damage? Considering how long a diesel motor's
supposed to last, and the heavy eco-costs (and cash costs!) of
replacing motors, I think I'll hang around twiddling my thumbs until
there is evidence that it doesn't cause any damage.

Anyway, aren't synthetic oils vegetable oil-based, though much
synthesized and formulated? Mainly "polyol ester" - what's "polyol
ester"?

Whatever, this is worth a read, includes some digestible info on what
you'd be fiddling with:

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

Synthetic Oil: Rx for Long Engine Life
by Curt Scott

Excerpt:

>The U.S. Department of Energy lists no fewer than *sixteen*
>performance parameters for any modern automotive motor oil. These
>are:
>
>-Low temperature fluidity (low pour point)
>
>-Low volatility...i.e. resistance to evaporation and resultant oil
>thickening...good oil economy, additional engine protection
>
>-High temperature oxidation resistance (of the oil itself)
>
>-Lubricity...the oil's slipperiness
>
>-Thermal stability...resistance to performance loss due to temperature change
>
>-Compatibility with engine metals, elastomers (i.e. "rubber" seals),
>oil filter elements, paints, and finishes
>
>-Wear protection and film strength
>
>-Freedom from deposit formation...good dispersant and detergent
>characteristics
>
>-Compatibility with other engine oils and additive packages
>
>-Extended drain capability
>
>-Water stability...propensity to remain separate of water molecules
>
>-Corollary effects on an engine's octane requirements
>
>-Ambient-startup protection...ability to protect against oil
>starvation during initial startup
>
>-Anti-rust properties
>
>-Compatibility with catalytic emission control systems
>
>-Compatibility with alcohol-containing fuels

Much of which gets discussed in the article.

Best

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM