Pieter,

Me too, I've been experimenting with seperating FFA and glyc.
Based on my experience, I contribute your problems to the use of sulphuric
acid in stead of phosphoric acid.
The reaction of sulphuric is that much stronger that it not only will enable
separation, but also makes sulpuric compounds out of the FFA and glyc. (which
are poisonous)
This is the main reason of the dark FFA and glyc., they are 'chemically
burned'

Possibility: use much less H2SO4 (few ml per liter byproduct), and wait
sufficient time to separate (days).

regards,
Filip
(eveneens vriendelijke groeten)