Reading the reasoning behind the two stage process approach it seems to me
that the benefit lies in the two different equilibrium points (first stage
mass conversion to biodiesel and second stage the -more or less - 100%
completion of that conversion). Am I right so far?

If this is correct then I do remember my university time that there were
two different types of reactors to be used: The batch stirred vessel type
that is usually described here and the pipe-type where the reactants flow
through a pipe, ususally in different directions. If I remember right the
vessel is not good for beeing used in equilibrium state reactions (like
assumed here) - it should be preferred for quick reactions that easily
reach the 100% end.

Taking this into account the better reactor type for our biodiesel rection
would be the pipe. Does anyone have any experience in using a pipe-type
reactor for producing biodiesel? I think it could easily be built using
plastic waste water pipes filles with glas or other inert media and mixed
with pulse-pumps (membrane type for example). It would also have the
advantage of continuous production....

Any thoughts about this approach?

Andreas Ohnsorge

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM