MM,

I have spent a lot of time to read about Brazil and there you
have your example. Costs, environmental effects, labor effects,
economic effects etc. This is for Ethanol and would be very
applicable for US, with its low diesel utilization.

I happen to belive that it would be even easier to repeat the
Brazil success with biodiesel, but it would require a higher
utilization of diesel technologies. So if US only wait 10 - 20
years, EU and a lot of developing countries would serve as
very good examples for you. I also think that a higher utilization
of EVs, based on improved battery technologies, will be
available as examples also. I think that you will find a US, that
still struggle with pillaging of fossil fuels and developing of an
affordable hydrogen/fuel cell economy, because then the coal
reserves would be much less.

Now you can give me samples on the viability of a hydrogen
economy, please. I am looking forward to it.

Hakan

At 09:24 AM 7/15/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >>There is *no* reason to exlude the several technologies and ideas we
> could be
> >>using to beef up our energy economics... except that the enemies of
> >>progress in
> >>this challenge wish to bring financial advantage to themselves.  They
> pretend
> >>though that they exclude ideas because they've been "proven"
> >>inadequate at this
> >>time.
> >
> >The "Yes, but can we grow enough biofuels?" question is one example,
>
>You give a good example.  Another I would include:
>
>Various pricing objections...e.g.: "Yes, but it's not cheap enough
>this instant, so that's why you're not seeing it", a response which is
>sometimes well-intended, asking folks to see the reality that it takes
>time and money for a new technology to become competitive.
>
>But quite often there is some pettiness in this response.  The
>respondent often will conveniently ignore the massive subsidization of
>some technologies, the difficulty of breaking into what has been a
>government-subsidized or protected business, etc.  They want to
>pretend they're advocates of free markets until it becomes time to
>ignore the non-free-market protections and inequities that have
>existed, and the non-free-market-violations of patent laws that have
>occurred.
>
>And they'll ignore the obvious economies of scale that can soon be
>realized, if only some effort will be made at production.
>
>Examples of this pricing-thinking-pettiness are in the objections we
>heard to the EV1 Battery Electric Vehicle (and other BEVs), and that
>we often have heard to conventional Wind and Solar Energy efforts.
>
>So, we are asked to dismiss-out-of-hand all consideration of many
>technologies because they are not, this very instant, some *claim*,
>price-competitive.
>
>Wonder if they'll be price-competitive around-about this January?
>Will we then hear "yes, but *now* they're somewhat competitive... you
>couldn't have expected us to support them until they were!  And
>Deliver them to us this instant!"
>
> >as if it can or should rely on a single technology (does it now? No),
> >followed by the answer "No we can't" (WRONG!) and then the whole idea
> >gets dumped as "impractical". Whatever's left of biofuels issues that
> >might make it past this obstacle is more than adequately dealt with
> >by the Pimentel et al nonsense that growing biofuels crops in the US
> >will lead to mass starvation in the 3rd World, backed up by data they
> >know is wrong. That people actually go for this BS is a real
> >eye-opener - "scientific" work doesn't survive such a thorough public
> >debunking unless ity serves the purposes of very powerful interests.
> >Which it does.
> >
> >http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_energy.html
> >Is ethanol energy-efficient?
> >
> >http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_food.html
> >Biofuels - Food or Fuel?
> [...]

Buy Naturally Painless & Spray Away Backaches & Joint Pain. $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tJIe0D/79VGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM