>>There will not be any hydrogen vehicles or other hydrogen uses like
>>heating out there for a while that will be anything the average
>>person can use. It is simply too new.
>
>Too new for what? To be of any use in solving the immediate problem
>within your deadline of 3 or 4 years? Lovins says "as soon as 2007",
>will that do?
>
>Actually you're coming very close to the dismissive technique that's
>used a lot against biofuels - it can't solve the whole problem, or it
>can't solve enough of the problem soon enough, and therefore abandon
>the whole idea.[...]

I agree with Keith's pointing-out of the dangerousness of this sort of
dismissiveness, and although I've seen much worse dismissiveness of
Hydrogen from others, it's always a point I like to read and go over.

That said, my take on Bob's point here is somewhat different.  I think
he's trying to focus (for a moment) on the short-term issue: "What's
going to happen in six months?"

I think this is a question worth asking.  Yes, there's a tone of a
sort of unproductive dismissive panic in some of our writings, when we
get so short-term, so let's be careful.  But we can look at this topic
without dismissing good ideas.   The caveat I think is that when one
examines, (for a moment, just for this context) the individual
homeowner's point of view in the short-term, the challenges seem to
become different.  He doesn't really have any production EVs he can
buy, his selection of used diesel vehicles is limited, solar panels
while coming down in price are still a stiff price, etc.

All this seems sort of anal, but if a financial energy "crunch" hits
this winter, it's going to be the topic whether we like it or not.

>> >... we have new better ways; solar, biofuels, wind,
>> >water, tides, you name it and that's the goal we need to acheive.
>
>Those aren't going to solve the whole problem or solve enough of the
>problem soon enough either, so if you're going to dismiss what Lovins
>says as irrelevant you should dismiss these too.

I saw some ads on TV yesterday as to Coal-generated electricity.  I
may not *like* it but the reality at present is that Coal is plentiful
(albeit it does cost lives and ruin scenery to dig it up, but it is
plentiful).   The environmental costs of burning it are claimed to be
somewhat mitigated from the past, but still high.

So, all I"m saying is I'm not a "fan" precisely, and I really don't
like how the many many alternatives have been under-done (to a point
that I think is just gross), but to be fair, I do include these old
dirty technologies in my own short and mid-term calculations.  Maybe
even the long-term ones, depending on the hard-to-predict level of
success of some of the alternatives that we all engage in proposing.
So, I"m agreeing with the tone of diversity in our thinking.

It keeps coming into my head, and I don't know where else to say it,
or when to wait for someone else to repeat it.  During the last
election, Nader said something like "Everyone knows Solar is the
answer."

Here we had an example of over-simplified one-technology-focus that,
although I never agree with this all-the-eggs-in-one-basket approach,
I knew what he meant.  At the least, everyone knows Solar is grossly
under-utilized and conspicuously ignored by the Oil-trained folks
pretending sickeningly to want better national energy policy, in the
face of major violent world calamities partly caused and partly
influenced by terrible US Energy policy.

MM

> [...]
>What happened to the excellent hybrid technology developed in the
>PNGV program with billions of US taxpayers' dollars, and then
>shelved? Those are Lovins's "quintupled-efficiency vehicles", after
>all. Just left to rot now that they've found a new milch cow?
>
>If you accept that, and if you're going to rely on your Big Three and
>a White House awash with Big Oil, then you're probably right to say
>there won't be any hydrogen vehicles for a while that the average
>person can use and so on. Too new? Twelve years' work on those
>hypercars.
>
>Re this:
>
>> >Remember years back for most of us when we went out and gathered our
>> >winter's supply of wood for heat?
>
>Not years back - three billion people rely on woodfires right now.
>http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html
>Wood fires that fit - Appropriate technology: Journey to Forever
>
>Best
>
>Keith
>

>>Bob
>>
>>Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hello Bob, MM
>>
>> >Real one; spoof version; it makes little difference at this point in time.
>>
>>It was posted as one of three linked messages - did you read the other two?
>>
>>Experts Disagree on Promise of Hydrogen Fuel Cells
>>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biofuel/message/26546
>>
>>and
>>
>>Amory B. Lovins's Hydrogen Primer
>>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biofuel/message/26548
>>
>>Best
>>
>>Keith
>>

>> >There is only one goal presently in mind by those who hold the
>> >product. Adjust the price to a proper place to adequately supply me
>> >with the profit I want!!
>> >
>> >Those who are wise enough to see through this will be able to supply
>> >themselves with alternate energy systems, reguardless of the type,
>> >to coast through this next 3 or 4 years. Those who don't will pay a
>> >hefty price for any energy they want or need for themselves.
>> >
>> >Every individual will have varying and different needs when it comes
>> >to energy. Preparing one's self to cover the biggest majority and
>> >purchase the smaller needs will win.
>> >
>> >Remember years back for most of us when we went out and gathered our
>> >winter's supply of wood for heat? OK, that's not a good thing for
>> >the air today but we have new better ways; solar, biofuels, wind,
>> >water, tides, you name it and that's the goal we need to acheive.
>> >
>> >Bob
>> >

>> >murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:On Wed, 23 Jul 2003

>> >Since Hydrogen is presently made from Natural Gas, although
>> >theoretically in the future we will have a better diversity of
>> >sources, I wonder how the short-term looks for it, since we are lining
>> >up to have a crisis in Natural Gas supply.
>

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>
>Biofuels list archives:
>http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
>Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM